sailboatHeader button
Larry and Betty Sail the Broughtons

This is an Interactive Map. The RED line shows our outward bound portion of our trip and the ORANGE line shows the homeward portion of our trip. REMEMBER! You can zoom in, move around and click the icons for more information.
    Our Marina
    See also Discovery Harbour Marina
  1. GREEN B
    Seymour Narrows.
    See also History of Seymour Narrows
  2. GREEN C
    Camelon Harbour
    Camelon Harbour99
    See also Camelon Harbour
  3. GREEN D
    Forward Harbour (sorry no photo)

    See also Forward Harbour
  4. GREEN E
    Port Harvey
    See also PortHarvey
  5. GREEN F
    Lagoon Cove
    See also Lagoon Cove
  6. GREEN G
    Kwatsi Bay
    See also Kwatsi Bay
  7. GREEN !
    Lacey Falls
  8. GREEN H
    Mackintosh Bay, Simoom Sound
    See also Simoom Sound
  9. GREEN I
    Turnbull Cove
    See also Turnbull Cove
  1. GREEN J
    Sullivan Bay
    See also Sullivan Bay
  2. GREEN !
    Shawl Bay
    See also Shawl Bay
  3. GREEN K
    Simoom again
    See also Simoom again
  4. GREEN L
    Thompson Sound
    See also Thompson Sound
  5. GREEN M
    Lagoon Cove Again
    See also Lagoon Cove Again
  6. GREEN N
    Village Island Cove
    Village Island Cove
    See also Village Island Cove
  7. GREEN O
    Waddington Bay
    See also Waddington Bay
  8. GREEN P
    Lagoon Cove Again Again
    See also Lagoon Cove Again Again
  9. GREEN Q
    Forward Harbour Again
    See also Forward Harbour Again
  10. GREEN R
    Blind Channel Marina
    See also Blind Channel Marina
  11. GREEN S
    Owen Bay
    See also Owen Bay
  12. GREEN T
    Heriot Bay
    See also Heriot Bay
    See also Heriot Bay Website

Thursday, August 18
We departed Cumberland just after lunch. The day had a lot of promise of hopefully warm weather in front of us. We arrived in Campbell River around 12:30 and after we loaded up enough groceries to supply for several months we headed over to Save On Foods to get fresh fruit, vegetables, milk and bread. We certainly will not starve. We had just enough time to put everything away and have a bit of a nap before we had visitors.
Larry's two cousins, Sheila Edgington and her sister, Teresa Moriss and their spouses drove up from Saratoga Beach to have a drink and dinner with us and to wish us bon voyage. We had a great meal at the Rip Tide Pub which overlooks our marina. The food and service were both good.
Friday, August 19
We were up early today and were underway by 8:30 AM. The morning air was a bit cool but not a cloud in the sky. The current in Discovery Passage was excellent for pushing us forward towards Seymour Narrows. We had no problem going through the Narrows and arrived at our destination of Cameleon Harbour just around the corner on Nodales Channel. We did not have the best most of the night we were kept awake with the noise of our chain rubbing against the rocks. We had most of the afternoon to have a nap and do a little spin in the dinghy. Tomorrow we attack the first leg of our journey through Johnstone Strait. The weather is holding out beautifully....nice and warm so far.
Saturday, August 20
We left Cameleon Harbour around 8:00. The day started off overcast but improved by late morning. As we entered Johnston Strait from Cameleon Harbour we passed Chatham Point light house on our left (see picture) and entered Johnstone Strait. The trip up Johnstone Strait went smooth. We had very little wind and the current was with us most of the way to Chancellor Channel where we headed East to Willbore Channel to set anchor in beautiful Douglas Bay near the entrance to Forward Harbour. Another nice and warm afternoon. We had lunch, had a nap and rowed the dinghy over to a small beach. Lots of mussels there but after some debate we decided against harvesting any. They were a bit on the small side. We stopped and chatted with some power boaters on our way back to BeeJay, a nice couple on board the "Beau-Dinky III". They are heading up to the Broughtons as well so we will probably run into them along our travels.
Sunday, August 21
Today was a bit rainy and overcast most of the way. We left Forward Harbour around 7:30. We knew we had at least 2 or 3 hours left on Johnstone Strait before our turn into Hannah Channel. They were calling for wind warnings in the late morning so we decided to make a run for it. Not the best day ...... a bit rainy but we did not encounter the wind until we set our anchor at Port Harvey. Port Harvey Marina is fairly new (2008). We were anchored off an island in front of the marina. We thought we were pretty snug until the winds came up.....we got blown around quite a bit so we decided to move to the marina and pay over the docking fees. That was a good decision as they also have a bakery, restaurant and pub. After we paid our moorage we had a beer and a visit with the owners. We were able to buy two of the remaining cinnamon rolls and 4 fresh buns. We pre-ordered our supper of fish and chips for this evening at the restaurant. The wind has died down a bit but we are glad that we are docked in case they come up in the night.
Port Harvey is just around the corner from Lagoon Cove but we have to traverse Chatham Channel Rapids to get there. Larry says that a good time to go through these rapids are around 11:00. I remember doing this on our friend's boat, the "Fresia" in 2000. Back then we had moored at Lagoon Cove the night of our favourite marinas. They are famous for their huge stainless steel bowl of freshly trapped Prawns at happy hour.....we cannot wait to get there tomorrow. We made reservations!

The BeeJay departed Port Harvey shortly before 11 AM, Monday Aug. 22.

We did not have far to travel to reach our destination of Lagoon Cove. It was such a gorgeous trip in spite of the pouring rain. We are now enjoying the beginning of the Broughtons. No more Johnstone Strait until we head for home in two or three weeks; just a whole bunch of channels and coves to explore.

Lagoon Cove Resort Marina is located on East Cracroft Island. We remember stopping in there 11 years ago. The owners, Bill and Jean Barber have owned the Marina for over 19 years. They are very hospitable and generous. Bill was on the dock helping us with the docking lines. As soon as we were tied nice and snug he went over the orientation with us and invited us to happy hour at 5 PM and of course, there will be peel and eat Prawns!

There were three sails boats and three power boats tied up to the dock. Before we headed for happy hour, Larry took our dinghy "The WeeJay" out into the bay and set two crab traps. We witnessed a couple of the fellows bring in some fair sized crabs so thought we would try our luck with some Prawn heads that Bill Barber donated.

I prepared a few dozen East Indian Pakoras for happy hour. They are usually a great hit. I served a spicy curry dip to go with it. They got inhaled! When I make this dish I am always asked for the is so easy to make. The freshly steamed Prawns did not last that long either.

It was a great happy hour held up on the upper deck of the marina. We were just about to finish up when the rains came down so we rushed into the tool shed to finish our visiting. Good thing we did as Jean surprised us with a lovely dessert of rhubarb crisp and ice cream. Gee, with all the Prawns and happy hours treats we feel we owe them more money! We had so much to eat at happy hour we decided not to have dinner. The sun came back out so Larry and I took the "WeeJay" out to check our crab traps. Nada, not a damn thing...... but we enjoyed the trip and enjoyed the scenery so much we were both singing "You will Never Walk Alone" at the top of our lungs all the way back to the marina!!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

We decided to spend one more night at Lagoon Cove. It is so peaceful. Larry is out on "WeeJay" checking the crab traps. Those darn crabs seem to be avoiding us. There are a few hiking trails in behind the marina so we will do a little hike before Happy Hour....I know, I know what you are thinking and yes you are right....we are only staying for the Prawns!!! Bill goes out on his boat everyday and brings up fresh Prawns to share at happy hour. This morning we will have to burn our burnable garbage. While Larry does that, I will defrost the freezer as it seems to ice up too much. I will make some beef and creamed cheese roll ups for Happy Hour. This All You Can Eat Prawns and Happy Hour has been a tradition of Lagoon Cove for many many years. They are both wonderful people. We met a lot of nice folk just the two nights spent here.
In the morning Betty and I enjoyed a $3 hot shower while we could. BeeJay was topped up in fuel: 40 liters from Campbell River to Lagoon Cove (total 15.9 hrs), filled our water tanks and topped up our gas for the outboard and generator. We said goodbye to Pat who was operating the fuel hose. We headed for Kwatsi Bay at 9:30 am. The weather was cloudy with the odd sunny break, winds were light.

Wednesdy, August 24th, 2011

After departing Lagoon cove we turned right up Knight Inlet, turned left at Tribune Channel, passed Thompson Sound on the right, then Bond Sound on the right. The next channel on the right was Kwatsi Bay. We had our main sail up for a little while. One of the chaps we met at Lagoon Cove passed us along the way in his power boat and radioed over to us to tell us how beautiful our boat looked with our sail up and that they had taken a photo of us. Made Larry feel so proud! He just loves this boat.
It took us Four and a half hours to reach Kwatsi Bay. We anchored stern line to shore at the upper right end of the bay just past Kwatsi Bay Marina. The weather remains cloudy but no rain. We can hear a water fall in the distance and the ravens are arguing in the background. The water is like glass. Life is good. Betty is a bit upset. She did some hand washing yesterday and has been jockeying it back and forth from the life lines to the wee line in the head....nothing is drying! No rain but a lot of humidity in the air.
We had a peaceful night at Kwatsi Bay. Something caught me by surprise though. We were anchored stern on to shore with a stern line to shore to hold us in one spot. The reason for this is it is quite deep and we were not sure of the wind. After we set the stern line, I took the WeeJay to set the crab traps, had lunch and a nap. After our nap I went up to the cockpit to check the stern line and was very surprised. Our anchor and stern line were okay but the current was very strong as the flood tide came into the Bay circling around in a swirl pushing us sideways. It only lasted the first hour or two of the flood tide. The Bay was very calm when we first anchored. When the current died down, I picked up the crab pots. No damn crabs! Oh well, off to our next destination

Welcome to the Broughton Archipelago

The Broughton Archipelago, with its hundreds of islands and narrow channels, lies between the northeast corner of Vancouver Island and the mainland coast where Knight Inlet and Klinaklini River meet Queen Charlotte Strait. One of the Inside Passage's most spectacular cruising areas, the Broughton Archipelago has generally well-protected waters, remote inlets with pristine coves and quiet anchor sites, and comfortable, friendly marinas. For many, the region has become a major destination for sportfishing, kayak exploring, and simply relaxing. It is also known for its Orca-watching and its First Nations' cultrural museums and small, historic settlements.

August 25th, 2011


The day started out with low clouds over the water and hills. We departed Kwatsi around 9:39 am. On our way out of the bay we cruised by the Kwatsi Bay Marina to have a look. It was full of boats tied up at the dock. We saw 3 boats we had met on our way up. They were the "Whyknot""Beau-Dinky" and "Stellis Maria". Everyone was just getting up but they gave us a wave as we went past.
Not too far West of Kwatsi was a water fall we wanted to have a look at. The sun had just come out and I was hoping for a photo. Sure enough there it was and there was water falling sparkling in the sun. If you get there after a rain, the water forms a lacy veil, thus the name, "Lacey Falls". Not today though, but it was nice.

Our trip up Tribune Channel was in sun and glassy water all the way. It was a beautiful day!
A couple of hours later we turned into Simoom Sound to head for our anchorage at the head of the Sound called Mackintosh Bay. Of course I had seen on the chart a location called "Pollard Point" so I had to get a photo of that as well. Here it is below with a photo of the chart location on our GPS chart plotter. You can see the little icon of a boat just above the "+" on the lower right hand corner showing our position on the chart. I love my Garmin chart plotter.

Anchored in Mackintosh Bay, Simoom Sound (Aug. 25/26)


There are several lovely anchorages in Simoom Sound and a lot fewer boats than I expected. We found a nice little spot in Mackintosh Bay which had room for only one boat. We are waiting to hear from Val and Terry Smith who are on their way South from the Shearwater area where they have been cruising for a couple of weeks. Our plan was to listen on the radio everyday at 5pm to make contact. So far we have not heard from them. We have tried several times to reach them on the radio. The winds have not be favorable for them to head from Shearwater to Port McNeill so our suspicion is they are waiting for better seas.
The sun came out in the afternoon. Betty and I went for a little cruise in WeeJay to see if we could see some bears or water totems. As it was, no bears but lots of water totems. We also visited with a nice couple on their large power boat 2 bays over from us.
This evening was beautiful and calm and again we had no rain.

The next day, Friday August 26 Betty and I had a lazy day cleaning up Beejay and doing odd jobs. Around noon we tried to reach Val and Terry on the "Margin Call". We got a response from a friend of their's, Dave Chippendale on "One More Time" He and his wife Pattie were traveling behind the "Margin Call". He heard our page to Val and Terry and answered on their behalf as apparently Terry's radio antenna was not all that strong. Dave was able to patch a message to Margin Call to tell them where we were anchored. At that time they were an hour and a half north of Port McNeil. They managed to stop in there for fuel and beer and were setting their anchor in the next bay over from us just after 7:00 PM. They told us that we were correct in thinking they had to wait out the weather. Once they were settled they came over in their small boat for a drink...also brought us a nice bowl of freshly cleaned crab...

August 27/28, 2011 Turnbull Cove

Today we head for Turnbull Cove. This is a location that Terry mentioned was quite nice. It is nestled among several tidal channels where fishing should be good and is completely protected from all wind with good holding ground and a lot of room for boats.
We departed 9 am twenty minutes before Terry so he could catch up with us at his faster cruising speed.


The early morning cloud burned off around 10 am and the day was beautiful and warm. We were traveling up Sutlej Channel which is a main route for boaters traveling North and South while remaining in the Islands around the Broughtons. Today, a lot of boats were traveling South, on their way home as August is drawing to a close. We meet 2 sailboats sailing "wing on wing". They barely had enough wind to hold their sails open.

Just before anchoring in the bay, Val and Terry drop their 4 Prawn traps in the channel in water 300 feet deep and we head into the beautiful Turnbull Cove. Terry goes in first and anchors his huge 50 lb anchor and we raft up to him.
It is now nearing high slack water and Terry says if we are going fishing in the channel we have to do it soon otherwise the current will be too high to get our lines to the bottom where the cod like to lurk. So we are off.
We were fortunate to catch 2 red snapper, 1 ling cod and 1 nice sized rock cod. Unfortunately...... we were not going to have them for supper today. Nope, it turned out Val and Terry had plans. Dinner was to be a crab feed, we could have the fish tomorrow. Next, our regular card game of "hand and foot".
We have crab until we can not eat any more. They were beautiful huge blue Dungeness crabs kept fresh in Terry's special water tanks. Terry cleans the crabs first, drops them into boiling water, waits for the water to boil again and then 6.5 minutes later they are ready for the dinner plate. Served with white wine, Caesar salad and fresh buns, it was a meal to die for.

Sunday, August 27

Today, the four of us decided to spend one more night here at Turnbull Cove. It was a gorgeous day. Terry and Larry took Terry's small boat over to check out the Roaring Hole Rapids that go through the gorge at Nepah Lagoon. The rapids just roar through. They had to be careful not to get too close or they would have been sucked in as the water was flowing very fast. Val and I stayed behind and enjoyed a game of Hand and Foot.
Later in the afternoon, Terry and Larry went fishing and caught another fair sized Red Snapper. The four of us played another game of Hand and Foot before our tasty meal of fresh fish, French Fries, coleslaw and lovely Parkerhouse buns.

Monday, August 29

We were hoping for an 8a.m. departure but the fog has come in. Larry is dropping our anchor and we will stay put while Terry and Val take their big boat back to collect the Prawn traps. Val and Terry have a much bigger boat than the BeeJay. We only have a small frig/freezer combination and are limited on what we can store. Val and Terry have a large upright household type frig/freezer as well as a large deep freeze that they store on their lido deck. Both freezers have a good load of frozen prawns, crab and fish from their trip to Shearwater. Larry decided to tag along with Val and Terry to pull up the Prawn traps...

Wow, we get back from picking up the Prawn traps in Terry and Val's boat and tie on to the BeeJay. The prawn traps were full of rock crab (females), some fish, sunfish, prawns and lagostinas (small type lobster). There were not many prawns in this spot but the haul was interesting. In the photos above you see Val and Terry pulling up the traps, a large prawn, a small lagostina and the mixture of everything. Val was unsure about the small lagostina's so tossed them over the side.

The low clouds and fog lift from our bay around 10am and we decide to travel to Sullivan Bay Marina which is just 5 miles down the channel. It took us an hour to get to Sullivan Bay. We stopped and took photos of the out flow of the Roaring Hole Rapids. The photos do not do them justice...the water is about one meters higher as it cascades out into the channel.
Sullivan Bay is located at the top end of Broughton Island. A very nice but characteristic marina. We were here eleven years ago. The wharf was rather rustic at that time. It has since been improved. They have all of the facilities...laundry (10.50 per load), plus a small general store and liquor store. We were able to do laundry and restock some veggies. We had a nice lunch at the restaurant before our afternoon nap. We played cards on Val and Terry's Lido deck before a lovely chicken dinner provided by Val. We are now bunkering down in preparing for our trip to Thompson Sound tomorrow. Sullivan Bay Marina is quite interesting....a lot of very expensive float homes. One even had a helicopter pad! The story is that there are fourteen float homes owned by a group of nine who also run the marina....a bit of a co-op. If you are keen on fishing and scenery...this is the place to be.

Tuesday, August 30

Its a beautiful sunny but cool morning. Used the heater for the first time on the trip to warm up our cabin this morning.
Breakfast then a shower at the marina ($6.00 ea.) then we are off. We are not sure exactly where but are headed toward Thompson Inlet where the prawns are suppose to be good. We may stop off at Simoom Sound again. The area where we are headed will lack cell phone and internet service so there will be no more updates until we hit an internet outlet. Until then....
Well, as it turns out, we can scratch the showers. Somewhere along the many water lines there is a broken pipe to the showers. We don`t want to wait any longer, so we leave. Betty decided she could not wait any longer and shampooed her hair in the galley sink. We just do not sit too close to anyone!


The two boats decide to stop over at Simmom Sound on the way to Thompson Sound. On the way we pass another marina called "Shawl Bay". Shawl Bay is a family owned marina with all the services needed. The Browns supply a bakery, store, fuel and a complimentary pancake breakfast in the morning and coffee in the evenings for those who moor there. It is a very popular stop over for many boaters. We did a quick sail pass and continued on our way to Simmoon Sound.

We arrive off Pollard Point at 2pm. We followed Val and Terry into the entrance before they head off into the right hand side to drop their prawn traps then its over to anchor for the night. This time we tie up to the Margin Call in Terry's favorite spot. Terry has a large anchor and it can hold us both. The next item will probably be cards. Betty and Val play Terry and Larry in "hand and foot" almost every day. So far, the girls are leading by one game. All love is lost between the teams as the game progresses....and good thing we are out in the wilderness. Never knew these two lovely ladies could come up with such rough language!!! (LOL)

Today's card game ended up with the girls winning. Probably a good thing, it is a bit cold to sleep on the upper deck.
Dinner today was a sea food casserole made up of Prawns, crab meat, pasta and a delicious sauce Val just happened to have in her huge stock pile of goodies. Betty and Larry cooked supper. We had made Beer Bread Buns earlier in the day. We feasted on our boat. All is well.


By the way, if you are reading these articles, please leave a short note or comment in our "shout box" located at our main page where you enter our website. We would love to hear from you.

Wednesday, August 31

The "Margin Call" and "BeeJay" depart Simoom Sound at 9:30. "Margin Call" had to pull up her Prawn traps near the entrance to Simmoom Sound. "BeeJay" left ahead of "Margin Call" and headed for Thompson Sound. There was enough wind to put up our sails. It did not take "Margin Call" long to catch up with us. They radioed to tell us that they trapped over 70 Prawns and a good feed of small shrimp. This day on the water was gorgeous. The sun was nice and warm with not a ripple in the water. The wind did not pick up until we were in Thompson Sound. We were able to put the sails up for the last stretch of our trip to our destination behind Sackville Island. Another beautiful spot to anchor. "Margin Call" set more Prawn traps before she anchored.

It was not long before the cards came out. The girls are getting good at beating us. We will have to change our strategy! While in the middle of our game we heard a small motor boat approach our boats. The man, Pierre,was looking for fuel. This anchorage area used to be an old logging operation. There are still remnants of ancient logging equipment laying about. We took photos of an old "Donkey" and steam engine. They were both fairly rusted out. Pierre is a forestry surveyor working in the mountain area above our anchorage. They had a problem with their crew boat and hoped we could supply their smaller boat with some fuel so they could go to a marina to get parts, etc. Terry generously gave them two 5 gallon jerry cans of fuel and hoped that Pierre would be true to his word and return the fuel tomorrow. After our game of cards, we had a great steak dinner with shrimp cocktails. We have a good view of our surroundings from "Margin Call's" enclosed lido deck. The sun was setting over the mountains. A good photo shoot of the far end of the Sound with the many shades of blue/gray mountain shadows reflecting on the sun-drenched pink/orange ocean water. This is truly the best place on earth.

Thursday, September 1

Today was cloudy and rainy. When the tide was right we lifted anchor so "Margin Call" could check their Prawn traps. They had only a couple Prawns this time but lots of shrimp. We all decided to return to our anchorage spot for the night. Would you believe the four of us played cards nearly all day?! Not much else to do. A hot cup of vegetable noodle soup for lunch and spaghetti for easy relaxing day. After lunch Terry and Larry took out Terry's boat to do a little run up the river that flows into the ocean not far from our anchorage. It was while they were getting the tow boat ready that Pierre showed up with the two jerry cans full of fuel.


Friday, September 2

Today was just gorgeous. A warm sun and blue sky. We pulled anchor in the late morning. Today's catch was a bit more profitable with lots of Prawns in the four traps that "Margin Call" sets. "BeeJay" went out into the Sound with "Margin Call' so we could charge our batteries. We were so happy that we did. There was a large pod of Dolphins that entertained us for over half an hour. We tried to take photos but they were just too quick jumping out of and back into the water. We decided to stay one more night anchored in this beautiful Sound. We are yet to see any whales so far on this trip. Back to our anchorage. The boys took Terry's small boat out to harvest a few mussels. We have not tried them yet. "Margin Call" has them hanging in a mesh sack over the side of the boat. Thompson Sound is part of the mainland. There are a few grizzly bears in the area. A trapper by the name of "Rick" has a guiding business here. He picks up German tourists in Port McNeil and brings them out to this wild country. They either spend the nights on Rick's power boat or in tents or a very rustic cabin. They think they have died and gone to Heaven! The guided tour is not cheap! The river close by is loaded with Steelhead Trout. Our afternoon was spent playing more cards. The girls are three games up on the boys. Another gorgeous sunset.

Saturday, September 3

Wow, another glorious sunny day on the water. We are now motoring back to Lagoon Cove. BeeJay is nearly out of water and Larry needs to have a shower. We got underway shortly after 10AM. We are a bit ahead of Margin Call as they had to stop to collect their Prawn traps.

We had a bit of a bumpy ride across Knight Inlet but it was another sunny day. On the way to Lagoon Cove we decided to explore Sargeaunt Passage, a passage that leads from Thompson Sound to Knight Inlet. It was fairly narrow in spots but enough water below our keel to make it through. Margin Call followed us through. It appeared that at some time there was either a logging or fishing operation in that area. There were several abandoned building scattered here and there. As we were traveling through the Blow Hole about one half hour away from Lagoon Cove we spotted this unusual sight. A small power boat hauling what appeared to be a trapper or fisherman,s cabin on floats. There were two lawn chairs on the front deck and a barbeque on the back. If you look close you will also see a dog keeping watch. We arrived at Lagoon Cove just before 2PM. Lagoon Cove is one of our favourite marinas. The people are always so friendly. We loaded up on fuel and water before we started a card game. Did not have time to finish it before it was off to Happy Hour on the patio.....of course, lots of freshly steamed Prawns. It usually is a pot luck happy hour. Some of the dishes are quite interesting and quite a variety. No one felt like dinner afterwards so we continued our card game.....the boys finally won and we have not heard the end of it!!!! The girls are still ahead by two games, tho. Well, I did something dumb yesterday. I had spilled some salsa in one of our cloth carry bags. Not wanting to have sticky salsa everywhere I rushed into the head and dumped it down the sink.....wrong thing to do! The sink plugged. Larry tried and tried to unplug it.....nada. We had Happy Hour,finished our card game and went to bed. The plugged sink can wait until tomorrow.


Sunday, September 04

We wake up to another sunny day. I went up to the office to have a lovely and warm shower while Larry tried to unplug the sink. It drained a bit overnight but still not the best. Larry tried to fix it but nothing was happening. He did eventually fix it but by a most unconventional method. We have a soda maker that uses a carbon dioxide (CO2)cylinder. He attached a hose to the soda maker and voila!...the pressure blew out the lines in seconds! We are now getting ready to head out to the Indian Island Group. Not sure when we will be able to send more messages as our internet service in this area is limited.

Sunday, September 4


The scenery along this coast line of the province of British Columbia never ceases to amaze me. It is so beautiful, I can never get enough of it. We left Lagoon Cove shortly after 10:30 AM. Val and Terry were leading on "Margin Call". We stopped to do some fishing around the corner from Lagoon Cove. Terry caught a medium sized rock cod and a nice ling cod. Larry caught a medium rock cod so looks like we will be having pan fried fish and curried vegetable pakora's for dinner this evening. We arrived at our current anchorage (Mamalilaculla Cove) off the northeast side of Village Island and its abandoned Indian Village Mamalilaculla.
The Indian Group of islands is a very scenic area of little islands, rocks, passages, old Indian Villages, totem poles and tons of history. Some of the interesting names in this area are quite descriptive. There is Farewell Harbour, Grave Inlet, Goat Inlet, Dead Point Cove, Beware Passage, Caution Cove and Jumble Islands. It would seem that they would have some interesting tales to tell.
We are nestled in a bay surrounded by several small islets. Just as we were finishing off rafting the boats together Terry spotted a small black bear foraging in the rocks on the nearby shore. Hope the photos turn out as he was away in the distance.

Monday, September 05


Today Val and Betty are pouting a bit. The boys skunked them playing cards last night. There is only one game separating us. Val very generously gave us a loaf of frozen bread dough. It is now 9AM. We have the bread in the oven. Boy, sure smells good. After breakfast Larry and Terry are going to go ashore to explore the abandoned Indian village of Mamalilaculla. As soon as Betty heard there were snakes lurking in the tall grass, she decided she had things to do on board! We woke up to a lot of fog. Hopefully it will burn off before we head out on our little exploration trip.


Fronted by a long shell beach and somewhat protected by the islands and islets to the west this once-thriving village, built on an ancient midden, housed a large first Nations community that in the early 1900s even included a schoolhouse. The book "Totem Poles and Tea" gives Hughina Harold's honest insight into village life in the 1930s, as does an account by M. Wylie Blanchet in the classic, "The Curve of Time".......... (Dreamspeaker Cruising Guide V5.)
An old house
the old school
Another old house
An old steam engine on the beach
totem pole laying on ground
close up of same pole
Entrance poles to the old LONGHOUSE
was once a great house, best in the village
the antique washing machine that was hand driven
Their old fridge
The kitchen stove
interior of an old out house still being used by visitors

Tuesday, September 6

We pulled up our anchors from Mamalilaculla and headed over to Waddington Bay on Bonwick Island. Another beautiful and sunny day. We sure have lucked out with the weather. Only two rainy days since we departed Campbell River on August 19. The water was nice and calm and very scenic going through some interesting channels with several small islands scattered here and there. We rafted up in the protection of Waddington Bay. Had lunch and a small nap before the big card game at 2PM. The match is tied and now it is the battle of the sexes. The girls beat out the men in three hands. Actually by a landslide...the men just tossed in their cards in defeat!!!! We played a different card game after the battle of hand and foot. This game is called "golf" and fun to play. Val won.


Terry and Larry set out some crab traps when we first arrived in this bay. They checked them before dinner and were happy to bring in 6 good sized keepers. Larry is going to try to keep them alive until we get home next week. Terry gave him a special bucket with holes in it and a lid. The bucket has a long rope attached to it. They get tossed over the side while we are anchored and are brought up and kept in sea water while we are underway.

Today's appetizer or should we say appeteaser....was a large stainless steel bowl full of freshly steamed mussels done in a wine/chicken broth with spices. Terry and Larry harvested these tasty morsels a few days ago...cannot tell you where it was as we had to sign a confidentially agreement with Val and Terry! Terry kept them fresh by hanging them overboard in the net sack. We horked those down in a hurry .... they were so good with garlic butter and garlic toasted is good.
Wednesday, September 07

It was an early rising today to say farewell to Val and Terry. They have to be back in Delta by next Monday. we still have another week on the water. They broke away from our rafting system and let us drift while they motored away to Johnstone Strait. It is another glorious day with the sun beaming down on us. They should not encounter bad weather all the way home as the forecast is great for the rest of the week. We are going to miss them. Val spoiled us rotten with several tasty meals. We had seafood nearly every day. Crab, Prawns, Cod and mussels...just great meals. Val also cooked us a nice roast chicken one night and a nice pork roast another night. We felt like their poor cousins. They have so much refrigeration space that she can load virtually anything on board. Before she left Val also gave us some perogies, a loaf of frozen bread dough and some fresh veggies. We enjoyed the perogies for lunch. As they pulled away, I shouted over to Val..."Make sure you burn the cards!!!"

We decided to stay here in Waddington Bay for one more day. After breakfast Larry went and checked the crab traps. Terry lent him one of his larger traps. It seems to work better. The trap was full of crab. Larry managed to keep three males at legal size. It is illegal to retain female crabs for obvious reasons. We are now trying to keep 9 crabs alive. Our limit is 16 so we will see what we can do. This morning we went for a little ride on "WeeJay". We are the only ones in the bay at the moment. It is such a wonderfully warm day. The waters were so calm. Not sure where we will head next. We do not need to depart Lagoon Cove for our trek home until next Sunday or Monday.

Two new sail boats came into the bay by late afternoon. Today was just perfect. It was so hot I had to put a light top and shorts on. Larry checked the crab traps and brought in 4 more large crabs. Our bucket is too full so we had to cook those four up. Terry Smith, we sure appreciate all the freshly cooked and cleaned crab you did up for us. Cleaning out the crab legs and claws is a lot of work! We treated ourselves to a bowl of crab cocktails. And would you believe we played a couple hands of cards before dinner!

Thursday, September 08

Today started out foggy. So, it was decided to head back to Lagoon Cove after the fog lifts which it started to do at ten in the morning. Larry has been checking the weather and it appears that Johnstone Strait may be getting some gale force winds tomorrow and Saturday. Perhaps we should rethink our plans for heading South. I have an appointment on Sept 19 and need to be home at least 4 days prior. We will hang around Lagoon Cove until it is safe to go down Johnstone Strait, there is only a little way to travel down the Strait before we can turn off towards Forward Harbour where we can travel the inlets and channels to the East side of Quadra Island. That way we can bypass a good portion of Johnstone Strait and Seymour Narrows and the winds. Our departure from Bonwick Island was at 10:45 and arrival at Lagoon Cove at 3:30PM. Once the fog burned off there was another beautiful sunny day. When we arrived, there were just a couple other boats tied up at the marina. The fuel and water dock was first on the list, this way, an early departure would be easy. Betty had a shower while we loaded up with water. Betty made wiener stuffed crescent rolls for Happy Hour and while they were baking, Larry burned our garbage up at the burn barrel. There were only 10 of us at Happy Hour but still a nice variety of snacks. This year's boating season is slowly coming to an end in this area.

Friday, September 09

Larry has been checking the weather for Johnstone Strait. The forecast has not improved since yesterday so will stay here tonight. This will give us a chance to cook up some crab, monitor the weather to see what the difference between forecast and actual weather occurs and update our web page and do some e-mails.
Larry had a bit of a problem with the interactive map, but after a bit of adjustments he was happy to have it repaired.
As the day continued on Larry cooked up a bunch of our crabs. Lagoon Cove has an excellent prawn and crab cookery. A huge burner and big pots with all the accessories, tables, chairs and a roof incase of rain. All free for the customers, so we took advantage of it.
After the crabs were cooked Betty and I sat in the cockpit of the BeeJay and cleaned crab for dinner. Of course after the cleaning the cockpit was a mess, I think we should have worn rubber aprons because there was stuff all over the place. While cleaning up the cockpit with a brush and buckets of sea water, everything was spic and span again. That is, until Betty went into the aft cabin for a nap and found water all over the bed! Larry had left the window open and the bed was a bit wet, damn!
So, it was out with the sleeping bag and cushions, on with the heater and build a tent of items over the furnace outlet.
Well, happy hour is over and I am sending this out to my web page readying for an early departure tomorrow if weather is favourable. Looks kinda iffy now but we will see.

Saturday, September 10

Today dawned misty, foggy and low clouds. If we were going we had to leave early to make the tides at Chatham Channel rapids. The weather forecast for Johnston Strait was "WIND WARNING IN EFFECT, WINDS 20-30 KNOTS", not good! I checked the weather at Fanny Island which is a auto weather station and it was NNW14. This is okay for us as it will be pushing us down rather than us beating against it. A 20 knot tail wind starts to get rough, a 30 knot tail wind Betty would not like, very uncomfortable with the boat swinging back and forth as the waves hit you from behind and throw your steering out.

The forecast for the next couple of days is very similar so what to do. Larry decides that as long as we have visibility we will at least get through Chattham Channel Rapids and if Johnston Strait is too rough we can go into Port Harvey and stay there until it improves. If the visibility is too bad (we have no radar) we can come back to Lagoon Cove.

Our departure is at 8:00 am to make the slack water at 9:20, and we will have the current pushing us there. The low cloud and fog gives us about 1.5 miles visibility which is okay. I only need to be able to see logs in the water and other boats because I have an excellent GPS CHART PLOTTER which shows exactly where I am to within a few feet and presents it on a screen with a map overlay. It shows all the islands, rocks, channels and a little icon which represents my boat as it weaves back and forth amongst them. The plotter tells me how fast I am going, in which direction and my Lat. and Long. If I give it my destination it will draw a line for me to follow around rocks and islands to lead me there, tell me how far I am from it and when I will get there at my present speed and constantly updates itself as things change. I love it.

As we get closer to the rapids the visibility starts to improve and I get a call on the radio from Jean at Lagoon Cove saying she got a weather report from a boat in Johnston Strait saying the winds were very light, visibility was about 1/2 mile and improving. This was good news but we were still an hour away and what would it be like when we got there. Port Harvey Marina said they had 3/4 mile visibility and 200 foot clouds in case we had to come in there.

We got through the rapids fine at slack water, visibility was up to 1-2 miles and no wind here. As we approached Port Harvey turn off we hear other boats leaving there to head South like us. We spot a sail boat coming out and I can see he has radar so I call him to confirm and ask if he would mind if I followed him in case the visibility dropped. He said he traveled at 5.5 knots and no problem. As I finished my call with the sail boat, we get a call from "Beau Dinky". They were the people we met at Forward Harbour on the way north. They were also out in the Strait ahead of us and told us it was okay to travel on and that they were heading back to Forward Harbour. As it turned out the visibility was still 1-2 miles and the winds quite light, we decide to go for it. It will now be 4 hours until we reach our destination. Port Neville is about an hour and half away. This is the first place we can duck into for protection.

Visibility was improving and the winds still light as we passed Port Neville so we continued on. One hour later the winds start to come up, we have about 10 knots on our tail. When we are an hour out from Forward Harbour the sun is out, we have 15 knots of wind on our tail and I have the fore sail up. Great weather for sailing! We arrived at Forward Harbour before 2PM. The water was calm, the sun was hot and all was well. "Beau Dinky" is anchored beside us. There is no wind at all in our anchorage. By nightfall there were seven boats anchored in here. Tomorrow we have two sets of rapids to travel through, the WHIRL POOL RAPIDS and GREEN POINT RAPIDS. We must leave at 8:45 am for the first set. We had a nice chat with Beau and Dineka before we headed for Blind Channel.

Sunday, September 11. Forward Harbour to Blind Channel


Here we are. We made it and it is nice and sunny. The weather is funny. Starts out cool and foggy and ends up hot and sunny as the day progresses. Cannot complain. We arrived at Blind Channel Marina around 1PM. We thought we would be the only ones here for the night. We had lunch before we headed up to the store to pay our moorage. You can tell it is nearing the end of the boating season for this area...not much in stock but we did manage to get a couple boxes of their best wine and a quart of milk for our cereal....the owner's wife mentioned she had fresh bread coming off around 3PM so we made sure we were up there ahead of this huge power boat that came in just before 3PM with several passengers on board. Betty literally raced up to the store to snab her loaf of bread. In fact, we bought the bread and took it back to "BeeJay" before we took a hike on one of the many hiking trails.


Actually the people on the big boat were quite nice...we are the only ones in the Marina...they seemed to have enjoyed themselves on the grounds of the Marina. Funny thing would have thought that they would have invited us on board....NOT....We fixed them....Betty made a nice batch of curried chicken....they should enjoy the will the bears...



Speaking of bears. Before Betty decided to make curried chicken for dinner, we went on a hike. There are several marked trails leading away from the Marina. We decided to take the trail to a view point.
WELL, the first few yards into an interesting trail leading to some lush tall standing trees we come across a good sized plop of bear poop....full of berries...Betty was ready to turn around but I coached her to continue along the path. Gads,do not know if that was a good idea as we came to posted signs warning us about bears, wolves, and cougars in the area.
Betty found a good walking stick and sang at the top of her lungs all the way to the view point and one was going to attack us!!! And they did not......We are now sitting down to our dinner of curried chicken and is good.

Monday, September 12.    Blind Channel to Owen Bay, Okisollo Channel

Today was shower day. Anytime we have showers available at marinas we like to participate. It saves on our boat water and usually the showers are long and hot.
After Larry had his shower he threw his towel on the floor in front of the sink and mirror to stand on while shaving. The floor was cold, you know. While shaving (head and face) he noticed his feet were nice and warm. Looking down he saw that there was a leak behind the sink spewing water (warm) all over the floor. The towel was soaked, his socks soaked and the bottoms to his sweat pants (neatly folded up on the floor because of lack of hangers) soaked. Thank goodness the day was sunny and warm. Things dried out in one day instead of 3-4.

We departed Blind Channel at 10AM. It was another gorgeous day. The trip down another segment of Johnstone Strait was very smooth. We were entertained by a pod of dolphins playing with our bow. They hung around us for over a half hour. It was so neat. We are a bit disappointed that we have not spotted any whales this season. We were amazed as we have been boating in most of the areas that they are usually spotted.
Our destination from Blind Channel was Owen Bay on the southeast end of Sonora Island. We need to go through a set of rapids to get there. Upon checking his handy application on his i-phone which gives tides and currents for all over the world (very accurate as well)Larry sees there will be about 4 knots pushing us through the next set of rapids. Pushing us is better then against us. The chart shows many arrows in a circle like little tornados all around the rapids indicating turbulent waters. What to do? Larry decides he will run it. Three to four knots should not be too bad, six to seven would not be very nice. As it turns out, we ran the left side of the rapids, through light eddies and even some back eddies where there was no current. The maximum current we encountered was two and a half knots. Then immediately it was into Owen Bay and slack water. We arrived at Owen Bay at 1PM. Larry did not want to hang around for four hours for slack current to take us through the next set of rapids so we decided to anchor in Owen Bay for the night.


The sun was nice and warm. We were able to play a game of Hand and Foot up in the cockpit. We were the only boaters in the Bay and enjoyed a quiet and peaceful evening with calm waters and a full harvest moon shining down upon us. There were several summer homes along the shore of Owen Bay. We could tell we were getting closer to civilization and the real world. Owen Bay is on Sonora Island just north of Hole In The Wall and not far from the Octopus Islands off the north end of Quadra Island.

Tuesday, September 13.    Owen Bay to Heriot Bay

We could not leave Owen Bay before 10:55. We had another set of rapids to go through just past Owen Bay and then we had to meet the slack water going through the rapids at Surge Narrows at 12:00 which we did right on schedule. We are now docked at the Heriot Bay Marina at Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island...Remember this place?...we spent three nights here in June where we could watch the Stanley Cup finals on their big screen TV in the pub.


We arrived here just before 2:00PM. We are looking forward to having a meal at the pub tonight. The wharfinger tells us that we need to spend the evening at the pub because Rick Mercer was doing some filming in Campbell River and that segment is being published this evening. The pub is hooking up their huge screen for the patrons. Tomorrow morning we are heading back to our home marina at Campbell River...and then the fun begins...the unpacking and putting "BeeJay" and "WeeJay" away for the winter.

Wednesday, September 14.    Heriot Bay back home to Campbell river

Larry and I had a lovely time at the pub at Heriot Bay last night. We met a nice couple who had been camping at Rebecca Spit all summer. They actually live in Comox and as we had our visit it turned out they grew up in my old neighbourhood of North Burnaby and had graduated from the same high school but a few years later. They knew a lot of the kids that I grew up with. Small world, eh?

Both Larry and I were dragging our heels this morning. It was such a great and relaxing time these past three weeks that neither one of us wanted to head for home. But the real world awaits. This morning there were low lying clouds but the seas were nice and calm all the way to Campbell River.

Our departure from Heriot Bay was around 10AM and we were tied up to our dock at 12:30 after stopping to fuel up at the fuel dock at our home marina. The sun was bright and warm by the time we got there. It was up to the A&W for a quick burger before the unloading process. After three trips with a cart up to our car, we decided that the rest can wait for our return trip to the boat in a few days. The tide was down and that dock ramp seemed to getting steeper and steeper with each load.

We finally got home shortly after 4PM. The two of us were tired doggies. Perishables were put away, ordered some Chinese food, had a couple glasses of wine, watched some TV, Betty had a hot tubby and it was off to bed...sure felt good. Tomorrow we will set up Dr. appointments and get the laundry caught up.     .....the end

Thank you to all our readers who have followed our adventures over the years. It is your encouragement that keeps us going with this journal of our life and the fun these two old birds are having.