sailboatHeader button
Larry and Betty Sail NORTH of Cape Caution

This is an Interactive Map. The RED line shows our outward bound portion of our trip and the ORANGE line shows the homeward portion of our trip. REMEMBER! You can zoom in, move around and click the icons for more information.
  1. RED A
    Our Marina
    See also Discovery Harbour Marina

  2. RED B
    Forward Harbour
    Cape caution
    See also Forward Harbour Anchorage
  3. RED C
    Lagoon Cove
    Lagoon Cove
    See also Lagoon Cove
  4. RED D
    Wahkana Bay

    See also Wahkana Bay
  5. RED E
    Blunden Harbour

    See also Blunden Harbour
  6. RED F
    Fury Cove Anchorage

    See also Fury Cove
  7. RED G
    Dawson Landing Marina

    See also Dawson Landing Marina
  8. RED H
    Johnstone Bay

    See also Johnstone Bay

  9. RED I
    Fury Cove again

    See also Fury Cove again
  10. RED J
    Kwakume Inlet

    See also Kwakume Inlet
  11. RED K
    Kisameet Inlet

    See also Kisameet Bay Inlet
  12. RED L
    Ocean Falls

    See also Ocean Falls
  13. RED M
    Troup Inlet

    See also Troup Inlet
  14. RED N
    Wigham Cove

    See also WighamCove
  15. RED O
    Rescue Cove

    See also Rescue Cove
  16. GREEN P
    Marys Cove

    See also Marys Cove
  17. ORANGE A
    Wigham Cove Again

    See also Wigham Cove Again
  18. ORANGE B
    Troup Again

    See also Troup Again
  19. ORANGE C

    See also ShearWater
  20. ORANGE D
    Brydon Anchorage

    See also Brydon Anchorage
  21. ORANGE E
    Lewall Inlet

    See also Lewall Inlet
  22. ORANGE F
    Green Anchorage

    See also Green Anchorage
  23. ORANGE G
    Johnston Bay Again

    See also Johnston Bay Again
  24. ORANGE H
    Fury Cove South Bound

    See also Fury Cove South Bound
  25. ORANGE I
    Blunden Harbour Again South Bound

    See also Blunden Harbour South Bound
  26. ORANGE J
    Sutherland Bay, Drury Inlet

    See also Blunden Harbour South Bound
  27. ORANGE K
    Jennis Bay Marina

    See also Jennis Bay Marina, Drury Inlet

  28. ORANGE L
    Greenway Marina

    See also Greenway Marina, Greenway Inlet

  29. ORANGE M
    Lagoon Cove Marina

    See also Lagoon Cove Marina

  30. ORANGE N
    Port Harvey Marina

    See also Port Harvey Marina

  31. ORANGE O
    Granite Bay

    See also Granite Bay

  32. ORANGE P
    Discovery Marina Again
    See also Our Home Marina

Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Well, after getting the house and yard in order and our final health checks cleared we are good to go on our seven week journey to the northern climes. This is a trip that Larry has dreamed of long before we met (nineteen years). I am somewhat apprehensive but have full confidence in his skills. It makes me smile to see him so excited.

When we were at our marina a week ago doing work on BeeJay we noticed a sign saying the marina was hosting a customer appreciation barbeque on July 25 from noon to 4PM. With our car loaded to the hilt with enough groceries to feed an army we arrived just before noon only to see a sign stating the barbeque had been cancelled. Man, my mouth was watering for a barbequed hotdog!!! Oh well.

The rest of the day was spent stowing away our clothes and food and a small trip over to Save On Foods was required to finalize our provisions. We sure are liking our extra frig/freezer cooler..... It just gives us a lot more storage. In a couple weeks we will be meeting up with our friends, Val and Terry Smith on Margin Call. Margin Call has been moored at our Marina these past few weeks. They left us a key and the offer of storing some of our stuff in their large freezer chest. We sure took them up on the offer and stored a couple roasts, a frying chicken and some pork tenderloin as well as some bread and milk. I do not think I will ever learn to pack light!

After stowing everything away we took the car up to park it near Boston Pizza and enjoyed a nice pizza dinner there.

This is our last night tied to the dock in Campbell River with a late departure tomorrow morning to fit the slack water through Seymour Narrows.

Thursday, July 26, 2012
Today we woke up to another sunny day. Our departure from the marina was shortly after 10AM to meet the slack tide going through Seymour Narrows at 11AM. Our destination is Forward Harbour. The current was strong and pushed us at a good clip up to three knots extra in some areas.

Chatham Point Light, entering Johnstone Strait

We arrived at Forward Harbour just before 5PM and had a good trip through the Whirlpool Rapids just around the corner before heading into Forward Harbour.

Approaching Whirlpool Rapids at slack water.

Prior to entering the harbour Larry and I had a little bet on how many boats would already be there. Larry guessed 4 and I guessed 6. We were surprised to see so many boats anchored in the bay. Including BeeJay, there were 11 of us. The water was very calm and overnight proved to be very quiet even though the winds in Johnstone Strait were blowing 15-20 knots.

Fellow boaters at Forward Anchorage

Our Favourite Boat

Friday, July 27, 2012
Larry has been monitoring the weather forecast at Fanny Island on Johnstone Strait, this is where we will re-enter to continue North. The winds have been variable from 11 knots to 15 knots. At 10AM we decided we should be good to go. We pulled up our anchor and headed over to Johnstone Strait.

As we were leaving our snug anchorage Larry saw a fast power boat leaving ahead of us. He called him up on the radio and made arrangements for him to let us know what the weather was like when he arrived ahead of us. An hour later he called us up saying he could see lots of white caps ahead and guessed maybe the winds were 15 knots or so. As we were talking another guy was going south down Johnstone Strait and was telling Larry that the winds were very strong and even though he had a 50 ft. boat he would not take his boat northbound. That was enough information for Larry to turn BeeJay around and head back to Forward Harbour to moor for another night. On the way back we passed a couple other boats heading out.....when they recognised our boat they turned around and followed us back into the harbour. No point in being bounced around in rough seas when it is not necessary. Lagoon Cove and their prawn happy hour will have to wait one more night or two.

We spent the rest of the day doing odd jobs on the boat, took a little spin on WeeJay and plan to play some cards before dinner. It is now 8:45 PM and there are now 15 boats tucked away in Forward Harbour....all of us waiting for the winds to die down up in Johnstone is nice and calm here in the harbour....hardly a ripple in the water.

Saturday, July 28, 2012
Today, Larry was wide awake at 5AM. Somehow I knew this was not going to be a sleep in type of morning.....he was monitoring the weather at Fanny Island and determined that the winds had died down enough on Johnstone Strait for us to take a run for it even though we were going to be travelling against the tidal flow. We left Forward Harbour at 6:20 AM and had a perfect trip to Johnstone Strait....calm seas with some cloud. There was virtually little wind. As a matter of fact I was at the helm when we entered the Strait and noticed little difference in the water pattern. The trip to Port Harvey was exciting for Larry. We encountered some fog patches and he was able to try out our new radar. Several other boats had left Forward Harbour the same time we did. We were in constant radio contact with them; each of us reporting various stages of the trip.

Fog In Johnstone Strait

Traveling under Radar

I breathed a little easier once we turned off Johnstone Strait to make our way to Lagoon Cove. We had to wait for slack water at Chatham Channel as we arrived 90 minutes early. Larry tried to do some rock cod fishing without any luck. I napped off and on. We arrived at Lagoon Cove at 1:00PM. Wow, the marina was sure busy but Bill Berber, the owner managed to find a spot for us as well as the four other boats that came in behind us. The fuel dock was our first spot before docking BeeJay, one wants to keep tanks topped up out here, you never know if the next fuel stop is out of fuel.. I made some roast beef sandwiches before we both had naps.

Do you remember, Lagoon Cove from last year's trip? This is where they have the All You Prawns You Can Eat, Happy Hour. I took ham stuffed snow peas, creamed cheese stuffed celery along with some cherry tomatoes for our contribution. These pot lucks are always a lot of fun with a variety of goodies to munch on. Always too much food so we never cook dinner on these nights. Bill is the man sitting on the end of the bench (Black hat). Half the fun of the happy hour is his story telling. There is usually one or two newbies at each happy hour. Bill is only too happy to repeat the history of Minstrel Island and the surrounding islands and how they came to be named. He throws in a couple good yarns for some laughs.

Lagoon Cove Happy Hour

The patio was busy. Bill was saying that they have had a great season so far in spite of the weather. The sun came out just as happy hour was starting. The whole patio was abuzz with a bear sighting. As a matter of fact there is a mother bear and one or two cubs who hang around on this island. They have become nuisances. Bill keeps his prawn bait on the dock locked in a wooden storage locker. I guess the other day the mother bear tried to claw her way in but was prevented in her mission by a large planter that kept the wooden planks in place.

We sat beside a couple who own a huge power boat, the Glory Be. They keep it in Anacortes, Washington. Turns out, they are good friends with Norm and Claire Lingrin....Norm and Claire are residents of Araby Acres RV Park in Yuma, Arizona. That is where we spend the winter. We see both of them at various activities. Norm does a lot of dirt biking with our friend, Chuck Handley while I do water exercises with Claire....Anyway, Hi to you both from Pat and Jack.....

Jack and Pat Rookhuyzen

Lets take a stroll around the marina

Dogs love to go boating too

Well, tomorrow we will get this posted from the library before heading out around 10:30. We do not have far to travel.

Sunday, July 29, 2012
Today is a bit cloudy but we did manage to get away at 10:10 after filling up with water and getting our web page posted. This leg of the trip took us up and across Knight Inlet, through Tribune Channel, bypassing Thompson Sound to arrive at Wahkana Bay off Bune Channel. We are almost straight across the Channel from Kwatsi Bay where we anchored last year.

Landslide on side of mountain

I thought I would throw this picture in just to show you how steep the trees can grow on the side of a mountain and what can happen when the ground the trees are anchored in gives way and slides down into the sea.

Anchored in Wahkana Bay by ourselves

We are the only ones anchored here...It is so peaceful!!!! This is a much nicer anchorage than what we had in Kwatsi Bay last year. It is much more protected and a lot less current, almost none.

We took WeeJay out for a little spin....the fish were jumping everywhere except onto Larry's line. We did spot several pods of dolphins feeding along the shore as we came into this bay.....I am yet to see any whales......You will know when I do!!!! I will be so excited.

Later this afternoon we played some cards. I had to let Larry win at Hand and Foot because he was getting to the point of not wanting to play because I kept beating him!!!

Our plan is to work our way over to Sullivan Bay monitoring the weather before deciding which route we will take to Cape Caution.

Monday, July 30, 2012
It was hard to leave this morning's was so quiet and peaceful and both of us had a good sleep. We arrived at Sullivan Bay shortly after 1PM to fuel up the boat and take on some water. Larry had been checking the weather and decided that the winds had died down enough for us to make a run for Blunden Harbour. They have good anchorage there and a great jumping off spot for an early departure to Cape Caution. It would make for a bit of a long day but the forecast for now was good and in 2 days the winds will pick up. As it turned out, we got fuel but no water. I guess their policy is water is only for guests and since we were not staying overnight, no water. Not to worry though, we have plenty, enough for 8 days.

We arrived at Blunden Harbour at 4:50. It was a well protected bay but shallow with 35 feet of water below us (good holding ground). The winds did pick up a bit but not enough to bother us. Tomorrow will be the big challenge for me.....something I have been very nervous about...the crossing over to Cape Caution on the mainland....I have heard so many horror stories of high waves and swells but Larry assures me that we won't go unless the seas are calm and the winds are down.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 . . . WE ARE OFF!

By Larry:

There are many things I had to consider prior to making our run to cross the cape. There was the weather forecast for weather to come, the present weather, the currents now and half way through our trip. Plus what to do if things change for the worse. This excerpt may be boring and a bit long winded but someone may find it of interest.

There are two ways I receive weather reports, one is by marine radio and their continuous marine weather broadcasts and the other is by my i-phone (I have a data plan and if we are in range it works great. I also connect my computer to it for wifi). My favourite is the cell because it is fast and I keep a copy even if out of range.

The tides and currents are also retrieved in two ways. One is by my GPS Chart Plotter (Garmin 720 which also is my radar screen) and again, my good old i-phone. I use a tides and current app which I bought for $4.99 and it gives me tides and currents for anywhere in the world. I do not need cell coverage to operate it.

PRIOR TO DEPARTURE: Forecast for Queen Charlotte Sound: Today Tonight and Wednesday Wind light increasing to south 10 to 20 knots early this evening and to south 20 to 30 Wednesday morning,wind diminishing to south 15 Wednesday afternoon.

Seas 1 metre building to 2 Wednesday morning then subsiding to 1 Wednesday evening.

How to interpret this: first you follow the forecast for the previous one or two days and compare it with the actual weather that occurs. This will give you the trends of what are likely to occur.

Today Tonight: of course means now and later today = winds light. This is good. Wednesday: again means tomorrow = South 10-20 knots. This is not good. But by then we will be snug in our anchorage. SCORE OUT OF 10 POINTS: go=9 no go=1

The actual weather reports are light houses and buoys, light houses come out every 3 hours, buoys every hour or so.

The previous days weather has been much better than the forecast, even though the forecasts are on the safe side. Example forecasts tend to be worse than actually what happens. But, you never know for sure.

This mornings weather: PINE ISLAND: overcast, visibility 15 miles, wind from the west at 3 knots, sea is rippled with a low westerly swell

EGG ISLAND: overcast, visibility 15 miles, wind calm, sea rippled with a low westerly swell

WEST SEA OTTER: wind south west at 3, wave height .5 meter

As you can see this is excellent! SCORE OUT OF 10 POINTS: go=9 no go=1

CURRENTS: Early in the morning we would have a Ebb tide changing to a flood around noon.

Now, the water comes in from the open pacific over the northern tip of Vancouver island where it splits to go south between Vancouver Island and the mainland and north towards Rivers Inlet and our destination Fury Cove. A flood tide is water coming in and an Ebb is water going out. (simple eh)

So you can see, in the morning, it will be helping us go north. In the afternoon it will change (by then we will be by Egg Island) and it will push us towards our destination. There are other factors with this as well but I won't bore you with them.

As you can see this is excellent! SCORE OUT OF 10 POINTS: go=9 no go=1

Weighing in all these factors (as well, no fog was forecast) I decide to GO! If things change for the worse we have an alternative safe anchorage at SKULL COVE between Cape Caution and our departure point. Also, more are in Smith Inlet, just around the corner of Cape Caution.

CONCLUSION: In the following photos you can see that every thing went excellent. Light to none winds, .2 metre swell. In the afternoon the winds increased to NW5.

Forecast winds 10-15 would be a decision maker, over this, a no go. Our boat travels at 6.5 knots and head currents of over 2 knots would be also be a no go.

As we were entering the south portion of Queen Charlotte Sound, the BC ferry out of Port Hardy passes us on our port side bound for Prince Rupert.

The captain (on the helm at this time because the Admiral was busy), called for breakfast. Low behold it was shortly served along with a pitcher of hot tea. (ham and eggs and potatoes)

Off in the distance you can see Cape Caution
and further is Egg Island
Now is this calm water or not?>
Going by the point (quite closely) you can see the light

Egg Island is on our port beam as we continue north. This is a very important light station for weather reports. They issue one every three hours. You can faintly see the light tower in the clearing on the island

We passed this gem of a sail boat heading south. It was a real traditional looking wooden boat that I have not seen before and had a dragon painted on its sides.

Here is a photo of Fury Cove taken from our chart plotter. Some extras to show where we were.

By Betty:

Larry got up at 4:00AM, checked the weather and decided we were good to go. He waited for the first light before starting up the engine. I made him a thermos of tea before I went back to bed. It really was an easy crossing. There was hardly any wind, the sea was basically calm. We passed Cape Caution shortly after 9:00 AM. Now I can breathe a little easier. We are now in totally new territory for both of us. The northern tip of Vancouver Island is behind us and a new adventure awaits us in the many coves and hide-a-ways of the Inside Passage. AND, I was downstairs cleaning when Larry hollers down....come up QUICK!!! Finally after two seasons on the water we see our first did not do any tricks or anything....just swam back and forth off in the short distance...about 100 feet. From what we could see, we thought it might have been a humped back. I am one happy Admiral. Wahoooo. We have seen lots of dolphins and porpoises. They usually play with our bow wave. Early yesterday morning, one jumped right beside the boat and scared the dickens out of Larry.

BeeJay arrived at Fury Cove shortly before 1:00PM. There are five other boats anchored here. It sure is a pretty spot. After lunch and a little rest we took WeeJay out for a spin in the several little bays in the area. We can both relax now that the challenging part of our trip is over (Until we head for home in four or five weeks!)

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fury Cove from the beach. August 1, 2012

The sound of heavy rain hitting our hatch covers woke us up early this morning so the decision was made to stay put in the protection of Fury Cove. Some of the other boats have headed out but a few are still here. Larry has been monitoring the weather forecasts and is glad that we headed up when we did. The winds are picking up and will be as high as 20-30 by the week-end. That is when our friends, Val and Terry Smith had planned on leaving Campbell River on their boat, Margin Call. They may have to sit tight for a couple days. No point in getting bashed around in the high winds and swells. We will try to call them on our cell phone when we find some service. We have been reading up on this area and notice there are a couple marinas not far from Fury Cove so perhaps we will do some exploring tomorrow.

On the outside of Fury Cove beach looking south.
Very large mussel shell on shell beach (no sand). Compare size with i-phone.

It is now 3:30PM, the rain and wind have let up. I was doing dishes when I heard the sound of an outboard motor. This boat seemed to be going around to all the boats in the cove. I went up to the cockpit to get a better look. It eventually came over to our boat and I could see that someone was inside the cabin taking pictures. I waved for them to come over. Turned out they were natives from the village at the end of Rivers Inlet. They are part of the Coastal Guardian Group that check the boats in the area to make sure everyone is okay. They assured us that the marina at Dawsons Landing has cell service and WIFI so we will head there tomorrow to post the web page and check emails.

Thursday August 2, 2012

Early Thursday morning, I woke up and went up to the cockpit to have a look around. Over by my anchor buoy lines was this big stump with a pile of large roots ready to tangle up a mess. It looked like a huge octopus and you can see it had already caught my white float. I had to jump into the dingy and row over, tie off and tow away this monstrosity. What a way to start the early day.

As Larry mentioned, he got up early to check our surroundings and noticed this huge stump getting ready to tangle itself around our anchor buoys. Larry did not hear a thing in the night but I heard a continuous thump in the night and got up a couple times and could not see anything. That must have been the stump brushing against the side of the boat.

The day has started out with some blue sky. We are headed up a narrow passage to Dawsons Landing. It is an inside passage alongside of River's Inlet. A person would have to spend many, many years up in this area to really explore the many nooks and crannies. Larry has had his fishing rod out a couple times to try his luck with some rock far, no luck. He had been using a plastic lure but just now asked me to dig out some frozen octopus. Now, let me tell you the story about this octopus:

When we first started taking BeeJay out in the water in May, 2011, Larry bought a couple packages of frozen bait. That bait has been hauled back and forth from the boat to the house and from the house to the boat. In fact, we had it frozen at our friends place in Comox while we were away for the past winter...along with a couple other packages of frozen bait. So now, it is tucked away under our freezer waiting patiently to be gobbled up by THE BIG ONE! Gosh, I sure hope it happens soon!

We arrived in Dawsons Landing shortly before noon, pulled up to the fuel dock to top up with diesel and water. They have wireless internet here so we can update our web page, make a few skype phone calls and get a few groceries.

Dawsons Landing is a resort and supply centre for the sport and commercial fishing trade. The store is one of those old fashioned general stores that stocks everything from soup to outboard motor parts. Gas and diesel and water are available at the fuel dock. A coastal supply vessel calls regularly and air service is available.

Friday August 3, 2012

BeeJay spent last night tied to the dock at Dawsons Landing. The day turned out to be nice and hot. This marina is a busy bustling one with float planes and boats on the constant move. River's Inlet is a very popular fishing spot. The Coho are running now so perhaps we will try our luck today as we make our way over to Johnson Bay. Terry Smith suggested this beautiful bay to us. He says that is where he sets his traps for crabs and has never been skunked....we will keep you posted.

Last night a couple fishermen stopped by the boat for a chat. We invited them on board for happy hour. They were telling us about the grizzly bear population in the area. The tree line is right down to the water's edge. The marina and its adjoining buildings are on floats. There is very little walking around space except for on the docks. The Department of Fishing and Oceans has a small cabin at the end of one of the docks. The fishery wardens use this cabin for their accommodation when they are in the area. Apparently a grizzly bear stopped by the cabin for a visit last week....but got chased away. There are several German Shepherd dogs that make quite the noise when a bear is in the area. We were advised not to venture too far into the trees.

After making a few purchases at the general store, we headed across River's Inlet to Johnson Bay. We will have some lunch and a nap before Larry sets the crab traps. I did not take anything out for dinner in the hope that we will have fresh crab for dinner.

After Larry set the crab traps he rowed around the bay. Just across from where we are anchored there is a stream running into the bay. Larry rowed part way up the stream but the water eventually got too low to traverse. It was while he was part way up the stream that he noticed a building nestled in among the trees. He rowed WeeJay out of the stream and down the bay a bit to line up to where the cabin was located and decided to investigate. It turned out to be a well constructed log cabin. The door was unlocked. It was very neat and tidy with cupboards, table and chairs, sink, electric lights and even a shower room!!! On the table was a guest book which Larry signed with the date, time and the name of our boat. How neat was that!

Well, it is 8:00PM and I had to make a pork stir fry for dinner as there were no crabs in our two traps. The Pinks are jumping all around our boat but not one has jumped on our line. I even had a turn at casting out the line a few times. No luck for even a beginner!!

Today was a gorgeous sunny day. The scenery in this area is just fantastic. We are anchored in the protection of Johnston Bay. At the front entrance there appears to be a two storey bunkhouse on a large float. Larry and I both agree that it must be for loggers as we have witnessed a few water taxis going back and forth dropping off and picking up men who appear to be wearing work gear.

The tide was high when we arrived and has gone down considerably. Around 4PM three speed boats from a nearby fishing resort came roaring down the bay. There is a stream coming into the bay not far from where we are anchored. We now know what they were looking for.

The tide started to recede around 7:00PM and we have been entertained by a mid-sized brown bear foraging for food on the banks of the stream. He does not seem to be bothered with our big boat not too far from him....gosh I hope he does not decide to swim over to welcome us to the bay!!! We only have two cans of bear spray!!!!

Just as we were watching the bear with our binoculars, another speed boat came roaring in with loud music blaring. They have several crab traps in the cove also. We watched them haul their traps in and they looked pretty full so we may have some luck after all. Larry jumped in WeeJay and went out to check our .... he came back with one large crab. He re-set the traps with the hope that there will be more waiting for us in the morning.

While I was cleaning up the dishes, I looked over to the creek. There are now two bears foraging along the creek bed!!!! You will have to take our word for it because it is too dark to take photos. Gads, these bears are not too far from that log cabin Larry explored in earlier. The story of Goldielocks comes to mind!

Saturday August 4, 2012

This is such a gorgeous bay. There was a bit of fog this morning but now it has burned off with not a cloud in the sky. Larry checked the crab traps ..... There was another good sized one so we will have a good feed tonight. He hauled the traps in and we are now (10:00AM) getting under way to head back over to Fury Cove. It is only two hours or so away. We may do a little fishing along the way. The pinks kept us entertained this morning, jumping frequently. They were good sized ones too.!!!

11:30.....Taylor Bay
Larry spotted this bay on the map and decided to drop the anchor and set out the crab pots. He is out in WeeJay doing that while I clean up a gooey mess.

The one thing about boat trips on a sail boat. Every nook and cranny is used for storage. We found an ideal place for eggs....the tiny storage space in the floor (lid is flush with the floor) by the stove. Works well and keeps the eggs cool. We have two (18 count) cartons of eggs stored under there. Or I should say, HAD..... I decided to try my hand at baking a banana cake today. The recipe calls for two eggs. I reached in and pulled out the first carton. I put the carton on the counter. Two eggs were stuck to the carton. I reached around the counter to get a knife to work them out and would you believe I stepped in the hole and right onto the other carton of eggs! Four eggs broke with yolks and whites running all over the place. Larry and I had a good laugh......after the mess got cleaned up. I said to Larry, it was a good thing I did not twist my ankle.....And he said...Gee, that sure would have been a bother for you to do the rest of the trip with a swollen ankle...what a guy!!!! .... so now, the oven is heating up getting ready for the loaf pan to go in.

Remember earlier when we wrote about all the pinks jumping all over the place in Johnson Bay? Turns out it is a "No Fishing" area. We did not know that! We checked our fishing regulations and it is not mentioned but when we were pulling out of the bay this morning we noticed signs at both sides of the entrance to the bay. We did not notice these signs on the way in. Another good chuckle.


Underway again with no luck with the crab traps or fishing pole in Taylor Bay. We are slowly making our way back to Fury Cove. The water has become a little choppy. There had been some low lying fog but that has lifted. We spotted a mother killer whale and her calf off our port bow. We could not get close enough to take a photo. It appeared that the mom was protecting her calf from us and keeping a safe distance away.

Do you smell the crabs cooking? Larry has the outdoor marine barbeque heating up. We are going to try to cook our two rather large Dungeness crabs in the pressure cooker pot on top of the barbeque. It keeps the smell out of the galley. We will have a garden salad to go with our crab.

BeeJay has been anchored in the protection of Fury Cove since 3:30PM. It is a beautiful sunny day out there. There are five other boats anchored with us.

Brrrr....we could not believe that a young chap from a sail boat close by had donned his swim suit and dove into the water.....he walked on the water to get back into the boat!!!! We sure had a good chuckle.

Did I tell you that my banana cake turned out pretty good. The last time I made this recipe was over 40 years ago up in the Nass Camp just after my daughter was born.

8:00PM.... Wow, what an adventurous day this has been....Larry and I had just finished honking down two large crabs, decided we did not need any salad and were just reflecting on our beautiful day when we heard a voice outside. Here was this man (the guy who had jumped in the water earlier) and his daughter from the sail boat....they had caught a large halibut and had no way to store it all and were going around in their dinghy to all the boats giving away large steaks....we were so happy with their generosity. I gave them half of our famous banana loaf along with some creamed cheese to go on top. There will be enough halibut to share with Val and Terry tomorrow. We suspect they will be pulling in here late tomorrow. The winds around Cape Caution seemed to have died down somewhat.

Sunday August 5, 2012

9:20 AM....Larry and I are having a cup of tea and a piece of banana cake. He thought he would try to reach Val and Terry on the marine radio. He checked the weather forecast and thought it looked pretty good for them to travel across from Port McNeil to Cape Caution. "Margin Call, Margin Call" "This is BeeJay" a couple seconds we hear Val's voice. "BeeJay, BeeJay, this is Margin Call...go to 09". Val tells us that they are 9 nautical miles away from Fury Cove and will be here in a little over one hour. They must have left at first light.

Turns out they had travelled as far as Port McNeil yesterday. They arrived around 3:00PM. The winds and seas were calm so they made a run for a bay south of Blunden Harbour. They left their anchorage this morning shortly after 6:30AM and said the seas were calm until this side of Cape Caution.

it is now 6:45PM. Larry is cooking up the halibut steaks for the four of us. Val made a Caesar salad and we are making rice to round off the meal. Would you believe we have played 4 games of jokers and pegs so far! The score is 3 - 1 in favour of the boys.

Wow, what a group of piggies we are.....Larry panfried the halibut. He cooked it all up, thinking there would be enough for two meals...NOT...we ate the whole lot!!! Man, was it ever tasty. We are so lucky.

We are all laughing our fool heads off. Between the two boats we have enough food to last us through the winter! Val and Terry's freezer is full to capacity. Larry and I had stored a lot in it before we left Campbell River and they loaded it up some more. We will have to chuck some it overboard if we start to catch any amount of fish and shellfish. Tomorrow we are headed further north. We should be able to pick up some cell phone signals as we near Bella Bella then we can update our web site.

Monday, August 6th, 2012
Kwakume Inlet

Well, we are under way to Kwakume Inlet off Fitz Hugh Sound. Terry tells us that this is his favorite fishing spot. Crabs and prawns are also supposed to be plentiful in the area. We left Fury Cove shortly after 8:00hrs and should arrive at our destination around 11:00hrs. The sky is cloudy but no fog.

We would be lying if we said that our trip to Kwakume Inlet was uneventful. It was smooth boating all the way with Margin Call in the lead. The entrance to Kwakume Inlet is a little tricky.

Terry was leading. He said to follow him as he has been in here before. As we were going by the tricky part, Larry says "Terry, my GPS says I am going straight for a rock!" Terry says, " Just follow me, my lowest depth was 23 feet when I went by the entrance." So Larry slows down really slow and follows watching the depth sounder. Terry is right, it reads 23 feet.

Margin Call clears the entrance and then Bump....BeeJay bumps into a rock and then is clear. Even though we were going real slow it shook both Larry and I up. Larry immediately put the motor in neutral and looked at the depth sounder. It said 23 feet. I went below to check the bilge. No water was coming in and the keel bolts looked secure. I felt so bad for Larry because he is so professional in his navigation. There does not appear to be any damage. We think we must have just scraped the rock as we passed over it. Both Terry's and our depth sounder were showing 23 feet so go figure....the rock must have been unmarked or out of position. Terry draws 4 feet and we draw 6 feet. Larry says he learned a very important lesson today.

We are now rafted beside Margin Call and seem to be okay. When we get back to Campbell River we will have a quick haul out to check it out.

After a quick lunch the boys went out fishing on Terry's little boat. Within a very short period of time they came back with a couple sea bass and cod. They tried to do some salmon fishing but the winds came up. We will do a fish and chip night tomorrow for dinner.

Then it was cards, pegs and jokers as usual. Two games later and a bunch of yelling, it was 7 games for the guys, and 4 for the girls.

Tuesday August 7, 2012
Kwakume Inlet, Day 2

Today was a very lazy day. Val cooked corned beef hash for the guys for breakfast. We had a late start and ended up staying here in Kwakume Inlet because of the fog outside the bay. The entire day was spent playing cards! We baked two small marinated pork loins for supper. Gotta get this meat used up to make room for the fish and seafood!!!

Tomorrow we are going to head a little further north for a couple hours, maybe, to Kisameet Bay. We hope to get some cell phone coverage soon.

Wednesday August 8, 2012
Kisameet Bay

We left Kwakume around 8:30hrs this morning. Gingerly, with all eyes on the water, we motored slowly past the intrusive rock at the entrance. Our destination is Kisameet Bay which is about 3 hours away. The sky is overcast with foggy patches here and there.

Every day we travel up the coast into the Central Region where we are now, we are always checking the weather, especially the weather from the light houses on our way. Addenbrooke Point is a very important light house that sends out weather reports every 3 hours. Here we are traveling by on a calm but cloudy day.

We poked our nose into the Indian settlement of Koeye Bay. An interesting village with beautiful sandy beaches, a long house and several houses nestled along side a little stream. There were a few people around. We waved but no one waved back at us.
The Koeye lodge located in this bay was given to the original owners, the Heiultsul and Owikeeno First Nations, on Saturday August 11, 2001. It is now used as a research center in the summer and a healing lodge in the winter. It is dry village (no alcohol allowed)

We continued on to Namu Inlet where there appeared to be more action. There is an abandoned cannery there along with several homes. Namu was once a thriving community with attractive houses and gardens but has now fallen into ruin.

Recently, an effort has been made by year round care takers to clean up the site and welcome cruising boats. We cruised by, the docks were empty. The couple of people on the floats ignored us when we waved. We carried on.

In Namu, just off the old cannery, there was a large power boat with several fish boats tied to it. Val and Terry tell us that there are one or two such boats in this area that take customers out fishing. There are several cabins on board. The boat travels from one good fishing spot to another. In fact, we are now in Kisameet Bay and the same boat is anchored down the bay from us.

5:30hrs....As soon as we anchored shortly after noon, Larry and Terry took Terry's small boat out to set out the prawn traps. Then they went out fishing and caught a small pink which is now cleaned, wrapped and in the freezer. The four of us just finished two games of Pegs and Jokers...the gals won both games.

Val, Terry and Larry are now on Margin Call cooking up some fish and chips. The fish is the cod and sea bass that was caught yesterday. While this is going on I am observing a native fish boat hauling in their catch. They have a net set not far from our two boats. They hauled quite a good catch but they all seemed to be small pinks. Again, no one waves...guess they are tired of the summer tourists. It has been pouring with rain most of the day.

Our destination tomorrow is supposed to be Ocean Falls. Really looking forward to going there to do laundry.

Thursday August 9, 2012

It is 7:30hrs. Larry and Terry headed out in Terry's small boat to haul up the prawn traps. I have the oven heating up to bake overnight cinnamon buns. They are so darn good.

Here is the welcome sign located next to the ferry ramp. This sign welcomes those who arrive via ferry to this forgotten town
We arrive to this view of Ocean Falls mill site. There are a lot of rundown buildings, some wrecks, some abandoned, and yet some are lived in.
This building is abandoned and completely gutted. It looks like a 5 story hotel or some sort of accommodations for workers.
Water flowing over the dam which runs the hydro electric generators still running and servicing Ocean Falls, Bella Bella and Sheerwater.
This group of condos are the worst of the rundown buildings
The old fire hall and ambulance building. Still not in too bad shape.

I do not know what I expected of Ocean Falls. I have several friends who had lived there when the town was in its glory. It is such a shame that this once thriving community is left with nothing but a bunch of old abandoned buildings. We are docked at the government wharf (moorage .50 per foot)at the old mill site. The actual Townsite of Ocean Falls is across the bay. There are a few streets with houses and a few cars around. Some people do appear to be living there. There are a couple fishing lodges near where we are docked.

The laundry was located up the hill in one of the lodges. We just did one load of whites to get us by until we reach Bella Bella. The manager at the lodge generously allowed us to use a washer and dryer located in his office because the public washer and dryers were busy.

Besides Margin Call and BeeJay there are several other large power boats docked in this marina. The location is quite pretty but they say the fall and winter is a real killer with rain, rain, rain, every day.

AND! There are a ton of small biting no-see-ums. We have screens for our hatchways but Margin Call does not. Poor Val and Terry received a few bites...a souvenir of Ocean Falls!!

Today we are headed for the Troupe Island Group. Terry and Val left around 9:00hrs. We are two hours behind them. They wanted to get there at slack water to set the crab traps. We needed to send out some emails as we do not know when our next service will be.

Friday August 10, 2012
Troup Inlet

What a beautiful day to be on the water....smooth glossy ocean...very little wave action. The sun has been out most of the day. We arrived in the paradise setting of the Troupe Island group around 3:00PM.

Margin Call was anchored waiting for us to arrive to raft up to them. Terry had already set his prawn and crab lines. As soon as we arrived, Larry went out in WeeJay to set our crab lines.

We had a rest before playing three rounds of Pegs and Jokers. The gals won all three games...oops....maybe the boys wont want to play with us any more!

Although we are a stone's throw from Bella Bella and Shearwater, we may stay in this area to collect shell fish and do some big game fishing for a few days. The stories around Ocean Falls are flying around that some 40-50 pound springs have been caught in this area these past couple days.....hmmmm.

Saturday August 11, 2012
Troup Inlet, Day 2

Another gorgeous sunny day. Larry had a very weak signal on his iphone and was able to download the weather for the next five days.....sunny every day. This is another beautiful anchorage. Larry, Terry and Val are just heading out to check the prawn and crab traps. The water is so still.

Need we say anymore? The total crab catch for the day is 20 large dungeness. The above pictures show a fully laden crab pot coming up to the surface. The spot that Terry had remembered from last year was still the greatest. Very few females and lots of large oversized crabs.

Where we were anchored, other small power boats come and drop off crab pots next to a stream. Larry did also and got next to nothing. That area is over harvested, yet none of these people bothered to try our spot just across the bay where we were hitting the mother lode.

The top right photo shows Terry's cooking setup with a huge burner and large pot on his lido deck.

Here is the result of our labour. A lovely huge pot of crab for dinner. Terry cooked up seven large crabs. We did a good job of devouring them but there were some left over for sandwiches.

The prawn traps yielded over 70 large prawns. They were quite large as shown in the above photo. Val is shown taking the heads off of some of the prawns to use for bait for the crab pots. Prawn heads are one of the best type of baits as the crab love them.

Sunday, August 12, 2012
Wigham Cove

Wigham Cove is a very well protected anchorage with good holding ground. Our little cove was not very large and fortunately there was no other boats there so we could pick the best spot. As it turned out, no other boats came and we had it all to our selves.

The afternoon was spent playing cards again.

Larry and Terry got up early to check the crab traps. They yielded another 10 large crabs. Terry is now trying to keep 23 alive. He has quite the setup. He puts several crabs in a large 5 gallon bucket with holes in the sides. He dangles the buckets over the side when they are anchored. When they are underway, the buckets go inside another full closed bucket. They stay on top of the forward deck until the next anchorage. The buckets are filled with sea water. This system seems to work.

Val went with them to check the prawn traps. Another good yield.

Monday, August 13, 2012
Rescue Cove

Wigham Cove was another neat secluded spot. We anchored there over night and are now headed toward Klemtu to get fuel and water. Klemtu is as far north we will travel. It will take us two travel days to get there. And it is a pouring rain kind of day. We did four hours of travel today and are now anchored in the protected bay of Rescue Bay in from Mathieson Channel. Boy, this area can be dreary and bleak when the sun stays hidden behind the fog and clouds. The forecast says we are due for more sunshine....soon we hope.

The photo on the left is a poor picture of Ivory Island Lighthouse. We were going to go around it where I could get a better photo but it would have been a little rough for Terry so we elected to take a short cut through a pass and bypass the open seas.

One would think that this area would be lacking in boats but it is not. Well, in the summer anyways. You can see a few boats that we passed on our way to Rescue Cove, cash fish buyers, funky sailboats and expensive yachts.

Our little kerosene lantern was lit to take the chill off in our salon. Val and Terry came on board and we played another three games of pegs and jokers....girls are so far ahead....I think Larry is forgetting to mark the scores down!!!!

We had steaks and prawns for is good.

Several fishing boats have come into the bay for the night. Included was a "Cash" boat. This boat goes around to all the fishing boats in the area to purchase the catch. This allows the fish boats to continue fishing without having to leave the fishing grounds and the fish arrive at the markets in a fresher state.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Marys Cove

Going into the Bay, Terry anchoring ahead.
Evening view of entrance to our bay.
We are now anchored in a very cozy bay, Mary's Cove, almost straight across the main channel from Klemtu. We stopped in Klemtu to purchase fuel and take on fresh water. This is about as far north we are going to travel. The safe anchorages further north would put us too far away to make Bella Bella on the 20th easily. We need to be there for my blood test I get every four weeks. Larry and Terry would rather take our time heading south to do some fishing along the way.

Klemtu is an interesting First Nations village. The village was very clean and showed pride in ownership. The year round population is around 500. There are several streets lined with well maintained and modern homes. The few people we met were very friendly. Klemtu appears to be quite successful. They have a modern fish processing plant. We were told that this is used for farmed fish. The native at the fuel dock was telling us that although it brings lucrative employment to the local people they are not all that in favour of fish farming. I can understand their feelings.

There was a well stocked super market operated by the local native band. I did a quick browse through while Larry was getting water. They had everything one would need. Apparently supplies are brought into the village every two weeks. Internet and cell service was not available but there was a telephone booth by the store. I did not check to see if it was in service or not.

At the far north end of the village there is a new modern ferry slip. We noticed several vehicles throughout the village. I did not notice many roads beyond the few streets and the road to the ferry slip.

Today is a glorious sunny day, almost too hot. At least the rain has stopped for a while. The ocean was calm like pudding. On the way to our anchorage at Mary's Cove we were entertained by a nice sized grey whale. It was foraging for food and would surface just above the water line before diving deeper into the water. We did manage to get a few photos. Perhaps we will be fortunate to see one breach before this trip is over.

Tomorrow we will slowly make our way back to the Bella Bella/Shearwater area. I have to have some blood work done at the clinic in Bella Bella next Monday, August 20. I am on some powerful medication for my rheumatoid arthritis and have to have my blood tested at least once a month. The only way that the Arthritis Doctor in Victoria would clear me to travel was that I promised to get the blood work done along the way.

Bella Bella is the only clinic within our itinerary. This will be another interesting experiment. They carefully monitor my liver, heart, kidney and other organs to make sure the medication does not cause any damage. I have to admit, though, I have not felt this great in many years. Last fall, I had difficulty climbing over the railings between our two boats rafted together. This year, I am a pro!!! I take my time and have the strength to pull my body up and over; a task I thought would be impossible this time last year. Not bad for a 68 year old grandmother!!!!

Wednesday August 15, 2012
Wigham Cove Again

Another beautiful sunny day, we have been so lucky with the weather. We have had some rainy days but most of the trip has been sunny with calm seas. We are making our way back to Rescue Cove from Mary Cove. I really enjoyed Mary Cove but the guys wanted to start heading back as there have been some wind warnings. We left Mary Cove at 9:00hrs. The water is a bit choppy but not all that bad.

Larry just informed me that we are going to go a bit further than planned. The winds have not come up as predicted. It is now 11:30hrs. About 11:00hrs we spotted another whale. Not sure if is the same one we saw yesterday as we are still in the area. This time it shot up its tail a couple times before sounding. And of course, we are never quick enough with the camera. These magnificent creatures of God never cease to amaze me. It is such a treat to see them in their own environment.

Prior to entering Wigham Cove we managed to receive cell phone coverage from Shearwater for about ten minutes allowing us to quickly answer some e-mails and check messages and download weather information. Then we lost it.

Tomorrow our plans are to go closer to Shearwater where we can get a good signal and upload our webpage updates. Then it is up to Troup Inlet again so Terry and Val can get more prawns and maybe do some fishing. No crab though, we are sick of eating crab and still have eight or so left.

I think when we get back home we won't touch sea food for a couple of months, at least!

Thursday August 16, 2012
Troup Again

We woke up this morning, again the sun was shining and it was just calm and beautiful. Outside in the bay we saw many beautiful water totems and have included one for this days addition. It is on the left. Spooky, right?

This photo on the left is of the bay we are in. The water is so calm you can see the reflection of the land in it. I took out the small island, turned it on its side and there it is. A water totem.
On the left here, is the Alaska State ferry that was passing us on the left. He wanted to make a right turn into Bella Bella in front of us so he called us and asked if we would do a 360 to give him room.
This is Dryad Point Lighthouse on the entrance to Bella Bella. It is also an important weather reporting station.

Friday August 17, 2012
Troup Again Again

Well we spent the morning setting up prawn traps and then did some bottom fishing for red snapper. Our returns were not outstanding so we quit and decided to do some salmon fishing.

In the next hour Terry caught 2 coho salmon using the down rigger at 55 feet and Larry using a line with 8 oz weight and the same bait did not even have a bite.

You can't beat those down riggers.

Just look at this scenery, it is so beautiful, calm, and relaxing. Life can be so nice and calming. Or, the complete opposite. However, here we are enjoying everything it can give us.

I apologize for showing these views so often. It is just so beautiful I cannot help trying to pass on what we see.

We have had so much crab we are not even putting out our crab traps today. Too much of a good thing you know!

Saturday August 18, 2012
Troup Again Again and Again

This morning was cool but no rain. We had low cloud (or high fog) so our visibility was good. The first thing was to check the prawn traps and then try some fishing. There are coho running outside our bay but not in great numbers. Maybe we can catch another or two.

The prawn traps produced a good supply for Val to clean. Terry and Larry went out fishing. They were no longer than just outside of the cove and dropped their hooks when they caught a nice 10 pound coho. Wow they thought, this is going to be a good day.

As always happens of course, no more.

After lunch the four of us went out fishing. Terry, Val, Betty and Larry went back out to try our luck. Terry's freezer was working quite hard and using up a lot of electricity so it was generator time. We went fishing while the generators were running.

Early into this trip we caught another coho, about 8 pounds, a nice one. Yes and that was it. At 3:30 it was back to the boats and a few games of cards. Val and Terry now have 4 good sized coho cleaned and shrink wrapped in their freezer.

Dinner tonight was bbg'd hotdogs with beans. Dessert was chocolate cake and ice cream. It sure is nice to have a freezer handy!!

Tomorrow we will head over to Shearwater which is a small resort area across the bay from Bella Bella. Our plans are to spend two nights at the marina there. Enough time to do our pile of laundry, stock up on wine, send out emails, and have a couple nice meals at the local pub.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

With a morning harvest of over 70 prawns, 2 Coho and one Spring, Margin Call and BeeJay left the peaceful Troup Passage Island group and headed for a two day R & R at the resort area of Shearwater. We arrived at the Shearwater marina around 14:00hrs. Just as we were settling in the skies opened up and drenched us.

I was amazed that their dock space was limited. Luckily, we had phoned in a couple days ago to make reservations for our two boats.

This is a view of the restaurant, pub,laundry, showers, shops and marine complex from our boat on the dock.
Its a rainy day view of the hotel area where there are quite a few rooms available for the general public. Customers fly into the airport at Bella Bella
Another rainy day photo of our dock taken from the restaurant. If you look carefully you can see our boat in the distance.

The first thing Larry and I did was load up our five loads of laundry into a dock cart and head up for the laundromat. Drats, they only had six machines and four were in use. Oh well, it did take us a little longer than expected but we did manage to get it all done. The showers were in the same building. We both took turns having showers while the other kept the laundry moving along. It sure felt good to have fresh linen and clothing!

There was a free garbage drop off as well as a recycling depot, thank goodness. Some marinas up the coast charge for garbage drop off. That is understandable because they have to deal with getting rid of it.

Let me tell you about the laundry. The small washers charge $4.00 per load (two toonies). They had one over sized washer that charged $6.00 (only loonies). But you sure could load a lot in the over sized washer. The dryer charged $1.00 for each 10 minutes and that machine took loonies so one really had to be savvy with Canadian coins. The dryers ran hot so it only took about $2.00 per load to dry each load.

The showers were also an experience; $1.00 (loonie) for two minutes. I got smart and used the hot water in the sink to suds up and then just quickly jumped in the shower to rinse off....that took $1.00 and then I did the same with my hair....(anything to save a loonie!!)

Val, Terry, Larry and I treated ourselves to a nice Chinese dinner at the Shearwater Restaurant. They have a full service restaurant and sports bar. In addition to the Laundromat and restaurant there is also a grocery store, hardware store, marine store and a few little gift shops along with a couple modern hotels.

The First Nations Village of Bella Bella is across the bay from Shearwater. The water taxi is kept very busy taking locals back and forth from Bella Bella to Shearwater. The big treat is to go out for dinner and treat the kids to the toys that some of the local shops bring in. In the general store there is a Sears Catalogue outlet.

The marinas in both Shearwater and Bella Bella are very busy with fishing boats, both commercial and recreational. There is a fair sized airport in Bella Bella. Most of the summer business is supplemented with fisher people coming to spend a few days in the area.

Monday, August 20, 2012
Shearwater and Bella Bella

As we mentioned in an earlier posting, the reason we are staying in the Shearwater area is so that I can take a water taxi over to the hospital in Bella Bella to have some blood tests done.

Larry got me up at 6:30hrs. I had time to get dressed, have breakfast and get down the dock to the Harbour Masters office in time for the two of us to catch the 7:45hrs water taxi. We arrived at the Bella Bella docks before 8:00hrs. It was just a short walk up the hill to the hospital. We were told to look for the big blue building. Not difficult to pick was the only big blue building in the area!
The lab tech was excellent. She told me that she was not allowed to provide me with the blood test results but promised me that she would fax them to my doctor in Victoria within the hour.

We were out of there by 8:15hrs. We had until 10:15hrs to catch the water taxi back to Shearwater. We walked around the village, took some photos and found a nice restaurant to have a coffee for Larry and a cup of tea for me. Neither one of us felt like having breakfast but we were the only customers so felt we should order something so we each treated ourselves to a piece of pie! Lemon pie for me and banana cream pie for Larry....sinful at 8:30hrs in the morning!!!

We found the local people to be very friendly. If any vehicle passed us as we walked along the streets, they would wave with a big welcoming smile as they drove by us.

There was a band store down by the marina. We stopped in and purchased a few things.....lettuce, eggs, peanut butter and cheese whiz...again everyone made us feel welcome. It was such a big change compared to our earlier experiences in Namu and a few other First Nations Villages that we visited a few days ago.
We slowly made our way down to the water taxi waiting area down on the dock. The water taxi was in. While Larry kept himself occupied walking the docks for exercise, I had a long and interesting chat with the operator of the water taxi. In fact, he was the owner. He told me that he was born in Namu.
His father was a fisherman while his mom worked in the BC Packers Cannery there. When the cannery closed down, they moved to Bella Bella. I mentioned to him that when we sailed past Namu and waved at a few of the natives on the dock we were shocked that they did not wave back. He said that the village is in a depressed state. No one wants to give up and leave and yet there are no jobs for the young people. He shook his head while he tells me that his family always had jobs. His father went where there was work. Bella Bella was very kind to his family. Fishing was a good provider for the family but he mentions that the stock is slowly dwindling.

One thing that both Larry and I noticed during our short trip to Bella Bella, in most buildings that we entered, and in the windows of several buildings, there were anti-pipeline slogans. One of interest was....."Enbridge, you have brought us First Nations Villages together in our fight against you and your pipeline" When I mentioned this to my new friend, he just shook his head while he explained the feelings. "This is pristine land, why ruin it?" "We as a people, both native and non-native will not profit by the scourge so why allow it to happen?"

Just before the water taxi departed for Shearwater, Larry called my doctor's office in Victoria. They had received the blood test results and I am clear for another four weeks.

We arrived back at the Shearwater dock at 10:30hrs. We stopped by Margin Call to tell Val and Terry that all went well. As we were talking to them, this young lady walks up to us. Have you read our blog about our trip to Thetis Island in June? If so, remember this young girl, Amber, we met at the Hornby Island Marina? She was on her way to Prince Rupert on her small sail boat. Anyway, she had called us a few weeks ago telling us that she had arrived in Prince Rupert but did not like it. She is now working part time in Shearwater and living on her boat while it is tied up to a mooring buoy not far from this marina. She said she was so excited when she was walking the docks yesterday and saw our boat. We had a good chat with her. What a gutsy little girl she is.

Tomorrow we will be in a bit of a political quandry. First of all, both of our boats need fuel and water. Fuel is cheaper here at Shearwater but some boaters have told us that the better and more expensive fuel is located at the fuel dock at Bella Bella. Also, the water that is available to us on the docks at this Shearwater marina is not very nice. It is very cloudy and dirty. A boil water warning is in effect. There is a new multi-million dollar water treatment plant in Bella Bella BUT they may charge for water if we do not purchase fuel. What to do? What to do? We will keep you posted.

Tuesday August 21, 2012
Brydon Anchorage

We had a late start today. First of all, Terry and Val left the dock and took Margin Call over to the fuel dock in Shearwater. They thought they would get their tanks three quarters full and do the rest over in Bella Bella. They have much larger fuel tanks than we do and it is very costly for them to fuel up so they decided on the cheaper price. We took BeeJay over to Bella Bella and managed to secure a spot on the dock to get fuel and water. We only took on 35 litres of fuel. Not much compared to what Terry took on. Both boats were ready to depart shortly after 10:30hrs. Larry and Val managed a quick trip up to the store and liquor store at the top of the dock. So now, we are good to go for more adventure. I have to say, I really enjoyed this area. I learned a lot in the two nights we were here.

Wow, see these logs. This is just an example of what you got to watch out for. Our trip through the Spider Passage (which is very narrow and tricky) had this log jam right in the middle of the critical part. We went around it carefully watching our depth because we had very little to play with.

We are just coming up to Brydon Anchorage, a cove off Brydon Channel on the south end of Hurricane Island. Terry is moving his towed fishing boat up to the side of the Mother Ship (Margin Call) so he can go in and anchor. He must have it secured to the side before he has freedom to move back and forth or there is HELL to pay.

In order to reach Brydon Anchorage we had to head out into the open ocean on the outside to reach it. The seas were calm and very little wind. The scenery is remarkably different. We all agreed that we would not want to be here in a bad storm. Telling by the shape the trees are in, they get pretty pounded by the winds and high seas. We took a short cut and had to traverse a narrow passage. I stood watch at the bowsprit to watch for deadheads and other things that may cause us navigation problems.

This little bay is just perfect for a safe anchorage, it is well protected from the winds and has good holding ground for the anchor. As a matter of fact, no later that 1/2 an hour after we were anchored and snug, two large power boats came flying around the corner to anchor and there we were, maybe in their spot. Oh well, first come, first served. Eh?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Lewall Inlet

Today has started out being a bit cloudy with some slight drizzle. Terry and Larry spent most the morning cleaning and cooking the rest of the crab that Terry had been keeping alive since before we went to Klemtu. Of the 13 in the buckets, one did not make it....phew nothing is worse than rotting crab!!! The cooked ones are now cooling down and will be vacuum packed whole and then frozen. Val kept a few legs out to have with her seafood pasta dinner this evening.....which will include crab, prawns, scallops and mussels....can't wait!

Brydon Anchorage was an interesting spot. One needs to be very careful going in and out. Thank goodness for our GPS and chart plotter. We had to maneuvre around several rocky outcrops.

Terry threw his back out on the dock at Shearwater yesterday. He is managing okay but if it gets any worse he is thinking of flying out of Dawsons Landing on a float plane to see his chiropractor. We should be back in Dawsons Landing tomorrow afternoon. At the moment he is surviving on Tylenol pills. Gosh, sure hopes it improves for him.
We got under way shortly after 11:00hrs. We do not have far to go...only to Pruth Bay on the top west end of Calvert Island. It may take us around 2 hours. The sea is a bit choppy today.

16:45hrs We did not make it into Pruth Bay. The sea got too rough for Terry's boat. They ride higher up than we do so if there is any bit of a swell they get bounced around quite a bit. We ended up coming into Lewall Inlet.
We have been anchored and rafted together since just before 14:00hrs. We had a quick nap before three games of pegs and jokers. Val and Terry just headed back to their boat to get the seafood pasta ready for dinner. They were gone a few minutes when Terry called over....WE ARE DRIFTING! The bottom is not the best for Terry's anchor. It is pretty muddy and we had drifted quite a distance while the four of us were down below on our boat playing cards.

He and Larry moved the boats while they were still rafted. They let out double the amount of chain and it seems to be holding. Larry now has our GPS Anchor Alarm set so if we drift again, the alarm will go off. It has been showering on and off all afternoon.

We are hoping that the skies will clear up and that the tide will be down a bit before we head out tomorrow. A guide book that we have mentions that there are several aboriginal designs on some rocks just below the tide line.

Lewall Inlet is an inlet on the east side of Stirling Island which is on the north side of Hakai Passage. Not sure which route we will try tomorrow as we work our way back to Dawsons Landing along Rivers Inlet. Terry says that his back has improved with all the Tylenol that he is taking.

Thursday, August 23, 2012
Green Anchorage

What a miserable day today. We woke up in the night to the sound of pounding rain and it has been a constant drizzle all morning.
I baked overnight cinnamon buns for breakfast. It is one of Terry's favourite breakfasts. His back is still bothering him. They came on board and shared the buns with us before we pulled up the anchor.

We left the comfort of Lewall Inlet at 9:00hrs. It was too misty to see any aboriginal markings along the shore.

At the moment we are in the main (Fitz Hugh) channnel between Calvert Island and the mainland. The seas are fairly bumpy but no huge swells....thank goodness. We scratched our plans to go into Pruth Bay as we heard on the weather broadcasts that we should be able to have a safe crossing around Cape Caution on Monday, August 27 and if we want to do any fishing in the Rivers Inlet area we need to move further south at a faster pace.

Poor Larry has to stand out in the cockpit in this drizzling rain. He has unzipped part of the windscreen so he can see through it and stay under cover of the awning and bimini at the same time. What the heck, we have been so spoiled with the great weather at the beginning of the trip. This is all part of the adventure, right? I am down below doing my chores. I took a whole chicken out of the freezer which we will bake in the oven later will also warm the cabin up a bit.

Yesterday we were able to unload all our stuff out of Margin Call's chest freezer. Our 45 litre freezer/cooler that we purchased before the trip works great and seems to keep things frozen. We will be fine for the duration of the trip.

Well, another great plan gets scratched. The sea was starting to get rougher and rougher so shortly after noon we all decided to pull into Green Island Anchorage just outside the Fish Egg Island Group.....about one hour north of Fury Cove. It is now 20:00hrs and the rain has just let up. It poured most of the day. The water in this bay is very calm. Hopefully we will have calm seas tomorrow. With weather permitting our our destination now will be Johnson Bay across from Dawsons Landing on Rivers Inlet, we have been there earlier on this trip....that was where Larry got the two crabs and where we spotted the two bears.

Friday, August 24, 2012
Johnston Bay Again

This morning visited us with very calm water, some fog and a very heavy dew. When we were up at Bella Bella, the last place I could get public weather on my i-phone, it mentioned we should get some sun today and tomorrow. This mornings weather is a good sign that it might occur after all and once the fog lifts the sun should come out.
Larry checked the weather forecast again this morning and Monday still looks like a good day to jump off South. We are watching the weather quite closely now.

On our way to Johnstone Bay we are passing Dawsons Landing so Betty and I decided to go in and top up our fuel, water and use their internet to up load our new additions to the web page.

There are only 2 other boats here today, I guess the main fishing push is dying down and people are headed back south like we are.

This is our last post until we get to Lagoon Cove in a week or so from today. There are not too many places where we can get cell phone coverage or internet services in the Central Coast Area.

Saturday, August 25, 2012
Fury Cove Jump Off

Today looks a little promising weather-wise. Some cloud in the sky but the sun is trying to poke through. Terry woke Larry up at 7:30hrs and they are now out fishing for Northern Coho.

The boys got nothing this morning. Usually the Northern Coho are here already but apparently they are late this year. They were late last year when Terry was here. Last year they arrived in the area just as Terry was heading back south. Go, figure.

Val and Terry did not need to fuel up in Dawson's Landing. They came straight to Johnson Bay. On the way here they spotted their friends fishing off Taylor Bay. They are the owners of "One More Time". Val and Terry plan to invite them to dinner tonight.

Well yesterday was interesting to say the least. After we anchored we played more pegs and jokers with Val and Terry. Val and I had been beating the boys but now the tables have turned. The boys are ahead of us by three games. Val got so upset with Larry yesterday after they beat us that she threw a full glass of wine at him!

Larry quietly sat there. He was in the middle of putting the game away. Val should have known he would trick her. He looked up and pointed to shore and said..."Hey there's a bear" Of course, Val turned to look and he dumped his wine glass on her!

Terry laughed so hard that I thought I should pour his beer over him.

In the end we all got drenched with the guys pouring beer on me! Who says seniors cannot have fun!!!!

Sunday, August 26, 2012
Blunden Harbour South Bound

Yes, here is is August 26th. Our plans were to start our southern crossing around the 30th, 4 days from now. We saw that weather window was good for today and tomorrow. and then not so good weather for the next 4 days. Betty and I decided to make a run for it today. Val and Terry are going to stay up in the Rivers Inlet area for at least another week to try to catch some Northern Coho.

It is now just after 6:30 am Sunday morning. We have said good bye to Terry and Val and have departed the anchorage. The sun is up enough for us to see any debris in the water. This is a shot of the sun coming up over the mountains. So far, everything is just fine.

Three other boats are also leaving at the same time as us. It looks like a convoy!

We started out just great, no wind, a few small swells before we were heading for the open Pacific. Egg Island was 14 miles ahead where we start a turn toward the south. Five miles later we run into the fog. Yup, FOG! The fog was not too bad, we could see maybe an eighth of a mile, enough to see logs and crap in the water.

Thank god for the RADAR! With the radar on, the chart plotter working great we knew exactly where we were and exactly where the other boats were. There were the 3 boats that were ahead of us, the two boats following us and no body coming toward us.

We were in the fog for about 3 hours, we passed Egg Island and made our turn south all under radar, never did see the island. The other boats were with us, some faster in the distance.

Sometimes under radar I get a little nervous about tug boats and their barges. You can see the tug boat, the barge but are they two boats or a tug with a big cable running between them. I think I now can distinguish the difference on radar.

During this period I saw a large blob coming toward us, heading north and about 1/2 mile to our right. I kept out of his way but saw one or two boats in his path. It turned out to be the Northern Expedition, the BC Ferry from Port Hardy on its way to Prince Rupert. After he passed us he gave a big blast on his horn to warn those other boats. He also called them up on the radio to warn them. Never did see actual ferry. Betty's son was the relief captain on this route for a couple years.
After we passed Cape Caution, the fog cleared up and we could see for miles. This is a photo of us looking back at the Cape which we have just passed. Glad to be in the clear again.

During our fog episode, on the radar, I could see this tug and barge coming toward us. Then the fog cleared and there it was. Its a huge barge bound for Alaska, and look at the cargo it is carrying. Not sure if you can pick them out but on the left and on top of the pile there is an RV trailer stacked on top of other RV's. On the other side, a truck is being balanced precariously. A closer look and you will see several vehicles poking out between the containers.

The ocean calmed down once we were out of the fog and past Cape Caution. The sun came out for awhile. Our arrival at the protection of Blunden Harbour was 14:30hrs. It was a long 8 hours of travel, something we do not do too often. Cell service was fair from Port Hardy. We did manage to get a couple calls out before losing it all together. We have a short journey tomorrow...only 4 hours to Drury Inlet.

Monday, August 27, 2012
Sutherland Bay, Drury Inlet

The weather forecast for today, was calm in the morning but winds SE 15-20 in the late morning, it was about 4 hours to the Drury Inlet anchorage. We left at 8:30. Perhaps a bit late. The wind started to pick up just as we turned out of Queen Charlotte Strait. There was no fog. We did in counter some rain.
This water totem was taken at Sutherland Bay, our anchorage at the far end of Drury Inlet. It was so calm Larry and I took our dingy (Wee Jay) out for a tour to see what was here.

As we were leaving Blunden Harbour I saw this really neat wind blown lone tree on a small point with the dull sky as a background. The tree stood out by its self and you could really see it. By the time I got my camera out it had moved to the side and blended in with the other trees. Oh well, here it is anyways.

Entering Drury Inlet with the sun trying to come out, it looked good but did not last.

Coming back from our little tour in the WeeJay we take a picture of Sutherland Bay and the calm water.

No one else joined us in this large bay. We were all by ourselves. No one knew we were here. It was as quiet as a tomb. Some strange birds were making cries like a baby screaming in the trees. Spooky! Not far from the entrance to Drury Inlet there is a small marina. We are heading there today. They have wifi.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Jennis Bay Marina, Drury Inlet

It has been raining off and on since our arrival at the Jennis Bay Marina. It is not a full service marina. No fuel or water. The marina has several small cabins along the dock. These cabins are currently rented out to a group of loggers that are working down the bay. The marina also cooks dinner for the loggers. This will be a good source of income for the marina as apparently the cabins will be rented out for several months from the logging company. There are two other boats docked with us. We are noticing less and less boat traffic as we get to the end of August and the weather changing.

When we arrived here we asked if there were hot showers available, we were assured that there were but we had to use them before the loggers return from work at 4:30 because the showers were in the bunk house (the cabin with the two windows in the front)! I sent Larry over first to check things out. The owners wife did a quick cleaning job before he went in for his shower......Although somewhat cloudy, that hot water sure felt good!
Once the logs are felled, they are hauled to the bay where they are dumped into the water. Once a good supply is in the water they are boomed and hauled away by tug boats. In all of our travels up the coast, this is the first working logging operation that we have noticed. There must be others hidden from the shores because we have passed a few booms being towed by tugs.


We have had a report from one of our readers that they have had trouble accessing our website. If you are following our travels would you please send us an e-mail telling us how it is working. Please include the name of your security program. Your help would be appreciated.

Larry and Betty

Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Greenway Marina, Greenway Inlet

We had a late departure from our snug little Jennis Bay Marina this morning. The entrance to Drury Inlet is quite narrow and there is another narrow spot just after the entrance which causes the tides to be restricted and hence strong currents. Our slack water was after twelve noon so it was a lazy morning.

Our wireless internet was not working very well. The satellite connection was in and out due to heavy morning clouds and rain showers most of the morning. However around eleven am it started to clear up a bit and the rain stopped. The internet came on again but very slow. After several tries Larry managed to upload the latest version. I think our next spot for internet may be Lagoon Cove, we'll see.

Our first destination was Sullivan Bay, a large marina that we have visited several times before. We wanted to top up our fuel tanks and check out their store for any fresh veggies and what ever. It is only six miles or so from Jennis Bay, just over an hour for us.

After we topped up with fuel it was over to the store to pay and to check out their products. I managed to find some vegetables in fair condition which was great. (we don't ask prices out in this country, it is too shocking to even know, we just buy it).

On our way out of Sutherland Bay, I spied several bags of golf clubs at the end of a dock. Well, I figured they just hit old balls into the bay when things get boring. Keeps one's swing in condition away from the golf course.

Well look at that, there is their first hole after all. It is a small green with a flag on it and one hell of a water hazard in between. It will take an accurate swing and good nerves to make this shot.

Our next stop is Greenway Marina in Greenway Inlet. It is a marina that when the owners retired they seemed to have closed up, shuttered everything and abandoned it all. We have not been here before. The books we have on the area tell us that this was once a nice resort with general store, laundry, showers and even an ice cream bar. It is sad to see it in this desolate sad array.

When we arrived there were two boats tied up to the dock. It had tons of dock space but I could see they were in pretty rough shape. Larry managed to find a spot where the tie on boards were not too rotten and we tied up.

Not knowing what the procedure was, Larry took a stroll over to one of the power boats to see what was happening. Low and behold the boat was the BeauDinky, a powerboat we met up with a couple times on our trip in this area last year. Beau and Dineka were surprised to see us. They told Larry that there was a sign on the old store door that mentioned if we use the docks it would be nice if we would send a donation to the owners Sam and Ann Taylor in La Connor Washington to help pay the taxes. We will do that when we get back.

The place is pretty shabby and run down. The docks need to be replaced and some areas are not useable at all. There are a few buildings on floats that are not too bad and could be upgraded with tender loving care. But frankly, I don't think it is worth anyone's effort to try to restore it to a usable condition.

After our visit with Beau and Dineka, we went back to BeeJay and were just about to start our game of cards when the winds came up. The back of BeeJay took quite a pounding from the wave action. We decided to move the boat around to point the bow into the wind. That worked and hopefully we will have a good night's sleep. We will be off to Echo Bay tomorrow.

Thursday, August 30, 2012
Lagoon Cove Marina

It is hard to imagine that we have been on the boat for five weeks! We left Campbell River on Thursday July 26, 2012. We are now heading for home and should be there some time in the early part of next week. I sure am looking forward to a hot tubby and just a bit more moving around space would be nice!

We spent last night tied to the dock at Greenway Bay. The winds did die down. We had a good sleep. Today the sun came out for the first time in a few days. This area sure can be dreary when it is overcast and raining but is outstanding and majestic when the sun is shining.

Our departure this morning was 10:30hrs. We had just left the docks when Larry noticed that our temperature gauge was climbing. He had checked everything before we left. He could not understand why the gauge was climbing. Of course, this incident took place after I had climbed out to the front bow to remove the docking lines and pull up the fenders. So, back I went to prepare the boat for docking. Larry shut the engine off for a few minutes before we docked and then started up again. Miracles of miracles, the gauge settled down to where we should be. We did not have to dock after all. Larry suspected an air lock from when he cleaned the water intake screen.

We are now nearing Waddington Bay on Bonwick Island and should be anchoring there around 13:30hrs. We scrapped the idea of going into Echo Bay as we would like to be in Lagoon Cove tomorrow evening.

Well, now it appears that we are going to head straight for Lagoon Cove. As we were heading closer to Bonwick Island Larry noticed a low fog bank coming in from the west. He decided that it would be prudent planning to continue on to the protection of Lagoon Cove rather than take the chance of being stranded in Waddington Bay for a day or so. We are fighting a 2knot current up Knight Inlet. Our arrival time at Lagoon Cove should be around 1700hrs. Just in time for their All You Can Eat Prawn Happy Hour.

I baked another banana cake. The first two I made on this trip turned out lovely. Not so this time.....I forgot to put an aluminium pan underneath the cake pan. The bottom of the cake burnt and stuck to the pan! I did manage to get ¾'s of the cake loose. I doctored it up with slabs of creamed cheese. Do you think anyone will notice the mess underneath when I serve it at happy hour? I am thinking I will cover it up and slip it in at the back of the table and not take on any ownership.....unless there are rave reviews, of course!!!

While we were motoring past Waddington Bay, we heard one of our Campbell River dock buddies on the marine radio. Larry had a nice chat with Rick on the Leda. They are heading for Port McNeil.

Happy Hour was not quite underway when we arrived at Lagoon Cove. There are only three other boats (huge power boats) tied to the docks. A big difference from when we were here in late July. Nevertheless we did enjoy everyone's company and stories. And, they all enjoyed the banana cake. No one knew it was creamed cheese on top of the cake and they loved it! Some of the ladies had never used creamed cheese as an icing before.

Friday, August 31, 2012
Port Harvey Marina

This week has been full of celebrations in my family and sadly we missed them all. Our daughter in law's 50th birthday was on August 27, my daughter's 44th is today and her 25th wedding anniversary was on the 29th. Hope you all had great days. We were thinking of you!

It seems that our plans are forever changing. Larry was listening to the weather channel and feels that we should head for Port Harvey this morning. There are wind warnings in Johnstone Strait. We hope to spend tonight at the Port Harvey Marina so we can get an early start tomorrow morning to try to beat the winds going down the strait. We left Lagoon Cove at 10:00hrs. Just before one of the other boaters was sharing a batch of sticky buns with everyone.....we had to leave before they got served...drats.

Every February in Yuma, Arizona there is a Lagoon Cove reunion. Apparently this has been ongoing for 10 years. We attended the one last year. It was a lot of fun. Last night the hostess of the Yuma party was at Lagoon Cove. It was nice to have a visit with her. There were a couple other boaters there last night who also snowbird in Yuma. We have always enjoyed the comradeship with the Lagoon Cove bunch. It is indeed our most favourite marina along the coast. The owners, Bill and Jean Berber go out of their way to make us all feel at home.

This morning when we were fuelling up and getting water, we noticed a small black bear foraging on the far shore....all part of the scenery in this area.

A wilderness tour boat pulled up to the dock just as we were getting ready to shove off. The passengers were foreign guests of one of the Knight Inlet lodges. They were mainly from Australia and were just so excited to being exposed to our wilderness. They had already seen some grizzly bears and were told they would be seeing some orca whales later today; all this at our door step and yet unseen by most British Columbians.

I told them to say "Hi" to a friend of ours who works on the docks at the resort where they are staying....This friend, Bill, is a brother to a friend of mine who shared Iran and Malta experiences with me in 1976, 1977 and 1978....small world, eh?
Port Harvey

We never had a chance to visit Port Harvey at the beginning of our trip; a shame, because the owners, George and Gail, go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They do all the baking for the marina. Georges' cinnamon buns are to die for. As soon as we docked at noon, George gave us a menu for tonight's dinner at the upper deck restaurant. They request that you place your order at least 1.5 hours ahead so that they can be prepared. Would you believe....we ordered the fish and chips! They sure were good with the home cut French fries. Both Gail and George stopped by for a visit while we enjoyed our meal. Turns out they lived off shore for a few years and spent some time on the Island of Malta. I was there with my young family in 1978. We had lots of stories to share.

One thing about boating in this area is the availability of fresh food products. I had baked a few things along the way but it is always a treat when a marina has a food supply, especially home made baked goods. George had just taken some fresh bread out of the oven just before we arrived. We devoured half a loaf of delicious cheese bread before was so yummy!

Two other power boats shared the marina with us last night. They were the Wilde Life and Grey Goose. We had met them at the happy hour at Lagoon Cove. Two nice couples from Washington. Notice the beautiful blue sky!!

Saturday September 1, 2012 0730hrs
Granite Bay

Larry has been keeping an eye on the weather. It looks good to go early down Johnstone Strait. Our departure from Port Harvey Marina was 0730hrs. We are now motoring down the Strait. It is a little bumpy but not all that bad. Larry knew the current would be against us all morning. It is a full moon which means there are large changes. To help reduce the current against us he hugs the right (West)side of the strait close to shore. Our speed varies from our 6.5 knot cruising speed down to 5 knots. We can live with this speed. However, when we get close to Kelsey Bay, the strait starts to narrow, we will be dropping as low as 2.5 to 3 knots. Up ahead there is an island in the middle of the strait causing a restriction. The passage we must go through is called "Current Passage" (of course). We are now fighting a 1.25 knot current. The boat is still hugging the West shoreline of the Strait. This has reduced the current to 0.5knots. Our destination today will either be Forward Harbour or if the winds agree with us we will push on to Granite Bay at the top end of Quadra Island. This could be our last night on the boat this hot tubby is starting to really look good!!

Saturday September 1, 2012 1330hrs
It is turning out to be a beautiful sunny day as we fight the current while traversing Johnstone Strait. According to our current tables, we should be in for a change in direction soon, and sure enough, as we come to the passage the current has settled down somewhat. We are gaining speed up to 6 knots and soon settles down to 7.1. Our former destination, Forward Harbour has long passed us. We are now making the push towards Granite Bay. If the day continues the way it is, we should be there around 1530hrs.

I have been occupying my morning by starting to pack up. I give myself this lecture after every long trip, be it on the boat or on the road traveling.....why on earth is it so important to take along so much food and clothing. I always tell myself that next year it is going to be different...yeah, right! Next year it will probably be more!!! Both Larry and I each had a large cloth bag full of clothes that never got out of the bag. And the freezer is still full with enough food to last another month! We did not begin to put a dent in the canned good supply.

Last night while we were docked at the Port Harvey Marine we received a cell phone call from our friends, Val and Terry. They had rounded Cape Caution yesterday and were just entering Blunden Harbour to anchor for the night. They had stayed up in the River's Inlet area for a few extra days and managed to catch 10 nice sized Northern Coho. They were sure excited to report that news to us. They were disappointed that we had traveled so far south as they wanted us to join up with them at Thompson Sound. Can you believe that they missed the card playing! Hopefully we will get to visit with them if they should dock at Campbell River on their way back to their home port of Ladner, BC.

Saturday September 1, 2012 1537hrs
Well, we made it to Granite Bay. It was a long 8.5 hours. We are glad to have it behind us. Going through Johnstone Strait is always a toss of the dice for us little boats. As it turned out, it was the best journey down the Strait for BeeJay in these past two seasons. It made travel a lot easier when the current changed and we could travel at 9.0 knots for a good stretch. We did encounter some whirlpool action for a short stretch where we had to keep an eye on loose logs and kelp beds but all in all it was a good trip.

We have just one more obstacle tomorrow when we go through Seymour Narrows before we arrive at our home port in Campbell River. Slack tide is not until 1330hrs. We do not plan on leaving this bay until 1200hrs. Our arrival at our marina will be in the late afternoon.

Note: Hope we are not confusing you. Port Harvey Marina is located in a long bay that separates East and West Cracroft Islands. It is actually about 2km as the crow flies from Lagoon Cove. By boat, you have to totally circumnavigate East Cracroft Island....a trip of a few hours. Some readers are thinking we have made a typo and think we are mentioning Port Hardy which is a town on Vancouver Island located north of Port McNeil. Nope, never been there with our boat yet.
Traveling down Johnstone Strait, this large multi-million dollar yacht passes us and turns toward an inlet that leads to Big Bay. There are several large fancy resorts there and I am sure he must be headed for one of them.
This is a poor shot using my zoom of Kelsey Bay. There is a government dock there where one can tie up to. Years ago, in my 24 foot sailboat I tied up for the night. The wind came up in the strait and my poor boat jumped up and down all night from the waves coming in and no one got any sleep that night. I vowed I would never stay there again.
Nicely anchored in Granite Bay viewing their small public dock and some boats tied up. We elected to anchor for privacy and quietness.

View of Granite Bay taken from shore. Note the old steel sailboat sitting on its double keel at low tide. It looks like no one has given it tender loving care for a long time.

Sunday September 2, 2012
Back to our Home Port, Discovery Marina

The day dawned nice and warm and sunny. Our anchorage was as calm as glass, we could hear the ducks and crows waking up and socializing. A great day for our last night on the boat after five and one half weeks. We were ready to enjoy our home again.

Larry had a bit of a confusing morning. He had checked and rechecked the currents at Seymour Narrows, 1:15 was slack water and he measured the distance we have to go, 3.78 nautical miles so if we left an hour before slack we should be okay.

We lazed around, worked on the web page and Larry went for a walk and took some pictures. We were going to pull up anchor around eleven forty-five.

Around eleven forty-five, Larry, again, checked the current tables and WOW, he saw the current was dropping fast and looked again.... it said slack water was 12:15! An hour earlier than we had planned!

He shouted to me, "Hon, we have to leave now, I made a mistake on the times." So the motor was started up and up came the anchor and off we were. After we got out of the narrow bay, he did a recheck on our route and low and behold, it was 8.6 nautical miles and not 3. Now we were going to be 1/2 hour late, with the big tide changes that could be serious. We also had some head current to deal with until it changed directions. Hope we can make it. He had the motor on maximum cruise speed and we were just rushing along with a roaring motor taking all the short cuts we could.

Larry uses his i-phone application "AyeTides" which is very good and easy to use. You do not need cell phone connections for it to work. Well, as it turns out, he was looking at a different current station last night and had left it on at that location. When he rechecked the currents again after leaving our anchorage, he realized his mistake, reset it at Seymour Narrows and sure enough, tide change was at 1:15, not 12:15. We just gained 1 hour of freedom. So, it was slow down the motor to normal and relax we were back on schedule again. We could handle the extra distance easily now..... phew.

This example of a couple of errors that can occur relates how important when cruising on the ocean, of all the things, one must check and recheck tides and currents for your voyage to be safe and successful.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful. We arrived at the narrows right at slack water and even then there were areas of swirls and upswells to push BeeJay around as we went through. Discovery Passage Marina looked so inviting as we rounded the break water.

First on the list was to head for the fuel dock to top up our tanks and then to our little slip to give BeeJay a much deserved rest. She did us proud all those weeks on the water. And now, the fun begins. The first things off the boat was our bags of laundry and clothing. It took us three trips with a dock cart but we did manage to load our car up. We were home shortly after 1600hrs. After throwing a load of clothing in the washer, putting away the frozen foods, we headed for our local Chinese restaurant. We had a great trip but home base is always nice to return to.

Our house sitter did a great job of keeping our home in tack. We have several pounds of blueberries nearly ripe enough for picking. The Italian plum tree is loaded....not quite ripe enough. The evergreen strawberry plants are still producing and our green beans are good for picking. Life is grand!!!

That wraps up our long term travels on BeeJay for this year. Thank you to all our readers. We hope we did not bore you with this adventure.

How do you like the new music, its about the BC Coast. A little catching tune, isn't it.